Eye Care Community
Central Serous Retinopathy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Central Serous Retinopathy

Hi I have been diagnosed with CSR three weeks ago and about to take a four hour international flight. Does anybody have any info on whether this would make the condition worse or not. Especially if the freak occurrence of the plane losing pressure.

With thanks
Flying will not make CSR worse. If it loses pressure put on the oxygen mask and don't panic it won't hurt your eye. use the search feature we have so very informative discussion threads about CSR.

JCH MD
I have been a victim of chronic recurring CSR on my both eyes on and off for 9 years due to steroid medications (Clear Infection,  Allergy Medication) . My left started 2 years ago and the right eye was quite for long time until above mentioned medications. I have been seeing the same doctor Wills Eye Philadelphia for the last 2 years. We have tried Xibrom, Beta Blocker 15mg eye drop and the cold laser once only on my left eye because of  its location compare to the right eye. I just did my first visit since the cold laser treatment. Fluid is back on my both eyes. No fluids for 2 months and 3 weeks with Fluid.  Good vision (20/30-40) with Fluid (20/50). My current Dr is freaking me out about the permanent damage to my retina because of the long term exposure to fluid. I am clinically depressed at this point.
I just scheduled a visit with Dr.Yamuzzi  in NY. I hear great things about him on internet. It seems like CSR is his focus. CSR is a rare deasese and that are studies but very limited.
I am going probably try the Avastin but, I have no hope.
Is there anyone out there has a similar recurring situation like mine? CSR supposedly slow down as you get older but this doesn’t seem to apply chronic cases.
Despite everything I said so far CSR hasn’t affected the quality of my life yet. I would be very happy if I can maintain my vision 20-40 even 20/50. I am only 42 years old.
My concern is unknown future!!
You are receiving the very best eye care in the world. Avastin apparently has helped some people. Hang in there.

JCH MD
I read your message.  I am from Sydney, Australia and  was diagnosed about 3 years ago after a few years of no-one knowing what the underlying cause of my loss of vision was. (Unfortunately I don't fit the demographic - am neither a steroid user or a male!)   Am also in my 40's and have limited options for treatment as the damage is central to the macular.  They have tried photodynamic therapy but in my case in didn't make any significant difference.  HOWEVER they have had success with other patients so don't give up hope.  I'm not sure how bad your vision is at the moment but I have found as long as I am in good light and don't get too tired I am generally not too bad.  The worst times are during the checkups. The tests remind me how poorly I do see and as I am (as I am sure you are) so "special" I am usually shunted to whoever thinks they may have found some new treatment.  The constant highs and lows of this are extremely difficult to cope with.  On a positive side I have noticed that even in the 5 or so years I have been seeing someone about this the advances in treatment have been phenomenal so I still feel that they will find something sooner rather than later to improve our situation.  

I have found stress & alcohol really make my sight worse so am trying to eat better, sleep better and live better.  I have two young children so it is also in their and my interest that I keep positive and active.  Good luck and if you hear of anything new in the area I would be interested to see if my doctor's have tried it.
-