Eye Care Community
Chalazion - First Timer - Need Advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Chalazion - First Timer - Need Advice

Hi, I've been searching online for the past 2 nights trying to find a place where I can read other people's experiences and also get advice from professionals.  I am so happy I found MedHelp.org just what I've been looking for.  In any case, I developed what seem like a stye on my upper left eye lid back in February of this year (near Valentine's Day).  I have never had one in my whole life (and I'm 30yr. old).  I've been using warm compresses, and my physician prescribed me the eye ointment called, "Erythromycin Ophthalmic Ointment 0.5%" which I put on 4x a day as directed.  Then in March, it became so big like a ball on my eyelid.  Beginning of March, I was in Arizona on a road trip and it became a big whitehead and actually popped while in the car.  I was happy about that thinking it will finally go away.  Now we're in April, and it has gone down a LOT and doesn't look like a ball anymore.  It's still on my eyelid, it's pink and I can see at least 3-4 little white heads that won't seem to want to come out and pop.  Its been VERY frustrating.  Today I went out to buy OcuSoft eyelid cleanser pads, since I read about it on another website that suggested that product to help clean the area.  I made an appoint. to see an ophthalmologist next Friday May 8th to get a consultation.  I DO NOT want to do surgery at all.  I wanted to know what are my other options?  I'm willing to try the steroid injection, please explain how that is done to the patient?  Does homeopathic medicine work to heal chalazions?  I work in an office, so its been hard to continue doing the 4-6 x a day warm compress.  Ive been doing it everyday after I get off work, could that be a reason why I still have it on my eyelid? (not consistent with warm compress).  I had my 2nd refill of the ointment already.  Is there any other ointment I should use or is this the best one?  When I apply it, I also massage my eyelid as well.  Please advise as this chalazion has caused me to be depress, extremely frustrated, confused, and sad.  It doesnt hurt or anything,  just the way it looks makes me feel so ughhh.  I'm so self conscious when I look at someone in the face.  Anyone's thoughts/advice would be helpful to me.  Thank you.
Tags: chalazion
Keep cleaning your lids well with occusoft foam eyelid cleaner and remove makeup with their medicated pads   or try TheraTears SterLid foam eyelid cleaner all over the counter.

Keep you hair well shampooed and don't let bangs get long enough to touch your eyelids.

When you see the Eye MD ask about 2 or 3 weeks on minocycline or tetracycline.

Sometimes steroid injection works but for recalcitrant or large chalazion office surgery to incise and currette out is often necessary.

JCH MD
Sorry to hear what you are going through.  I had my first one a few years ago but it was painful and you could barly see it.  It was more on the inside of the lid.  When the doctor flipped the lid he could see it.  I could feel the lump.  I used warm compresses and it did eventually go away.  The doctor did recomed it being removed but I opped to do the warm compress thing instead.  I actually used small red potatoes and microwaved one and then put it in a wet wash cloth.  Don't microwave for to long.  This way you don't have to keep warming the wash cloth.  Just be very careful not to get the potato too hot or you will wind up burning yourself.  Good luck.  
Thank you Dr. Hagan for your very fast response to my post!  What are minocycline or tetracycline?  Are those other ointment your suggesting?  I don't consider my chalazion large, I would say it is approx. 5mm size wise?  So the ster. injection is injected onto the outer eyelid where the chalazion is located?  Also, does homeopathic medicine help?
Hi Ms. Tia!  

Thank you for sharing with me your own experience with your chalazion.  I am glad that I  have it on the outer lid versus inside the lid like you did.  So your chalazion is completely gone w/o the surgery?  How long did you have it for?  Thank you for your advice on the red potato, I never would of thought of that!  I will consider that.  It is tiresome going back and forth to the bathroom to heat up a wash cloth, but I try to do it as often as I can when I'm off from work.    
Homeopathic medicine does good only for the person that sells it to you.  Tetracycline and minocycline are oral antibiotics that reduce the amount and irritation of oil glands. Often used in the treatment of acne.

JCH MD
Dr. Hagan,

How often should I use the Ocusoft on my eye and should i use that before i put on the erythrom.?  The way I did it today was clean with the ocusoft, then apply compress then put on the ointment.  Please advise thank you very much for your help.  Is surgery really the only way that ophthalmologists recommend to get rid of chalazions?  They dont go away by itself with consistent use of combinations of compresses, antibiotics, and cleaners?