Eye Care Expert Forum
Chalazion: Scar tissue or still here?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Chalazion: Scar tissue or still here?

After three months of fighting a stye in which I finally got it to be 1/5 of its original size, but it was still red, I went to an eyecare office. They provided me with Azasite, antiobiotics, and Topramaxin (or something spelled like that), nothing helped. They referred me to an ophthalmologist. The ophthalmologist told me that it was a chalazion, and should go away sometime from weeks to months. He gave me the option of surgery, but did not highly recommend it since the chalazion was small and the recovery would make my eyelid swell horribly. I didn't return since my insurance turned out to not cover the visits. I went to my primary family doctor (since insurance covers), and he told me that since the redness (inflammation) was still there, I would now take levaquin since it was a stronger antibiotic. Now I still do salt/water applications since it seems to bring the redness down for a while. So is there really still a chalazion or is it purely scar tissue now? I can feel a small tiny hard bump near my eyelash line (external), and there is redness surrounding it. I'm not sure if I should waste my time and money to visit the ophthalmologist for another evaluation visit plus the surgery visit if it is indeed just scar tissue. And is it alright to wear makeup provided I wash it all off at night? Thank you in advance.
Dear kimmietrinh,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD.  He/ she may be able to assist by drainage/excision if it has not improved with medical treatment alone.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California