Eye Care Community
Chalazion or Stye popping?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Chalazion or Stye popping?

Due to some working conditions my cornea got very dry and a light infection was detected by my eye doctor.
I was prescribed and antibiotic and, after several days, an anti-inflammatory. In addition I had to use Refresh drops and Refresh PM at night. Well, everything went fine and the dryness with the inflammations resolved but the first or second night after using the Refresh PM my eyelids became swollen for most of the following day and this lasted for the duration of the treatment ( I think it was like 2 weeks or so). It seems that one of my eyelash gland sucked in the Refresh PM and it got stuck with it. It happened the first or second night. After a month I went back to the same location at work and this time the other eye got dry. This time I had to use only Refresh drops and a cream called Blephamide Eye ointment because my eyelids got infected. I was exposed to some eye irritant materials under poor ventilated conditions because of constructions. As soon I used this ointment my gland became much more enlarged within 2 days. Now (about 2 months from the very beginning) my gland ( it seems to be the gland) is the size of a TicTac (remember those?). The doctor told me to use hot compresses and I did but only once or twice a day because I could not do it at work. The past 4 days I was able to use hot compress more diligently and the Chalazion / Stye? got larger (TicTac) and has a withe little pointed head near the eyelashes and it seem ready to pop. I read in this forum somewhere that a chalazion has not pus inside but oil or grease substance, and so, than if it has a white head it means is a Stye? Tomorrow it may pop and I do not know exactly what to expect. I am 52 year old in good conditions. I try to stay away from medication as much as possible and try to be on the natural way of healing. I am wondering if this thing pops by itself,  is this a natural way of the body mechanism to eliminate?
Or I must do something invasive like surgery or other similar means? Is there a way to help, assist the body eliminate the pus or oil or whatever is in there in a less aggressive manner?
Right now my priority question would be: It pops, what's next. Is that bad or dangerous when it pops?

I am asking these questions in this forum because after being scared to death on other forums, here the doctors seems to be like the old fashion way; more wise than just informed (with standard answers).

Thank you so much in advance.

It's likely that you have an infected chalazion. That means the stuff in it is some pus but mostly hard grissle like material that does not come out easily.

I suggest you see an Eye MD ophthalmologist as you may need a minor office surgery to incise and currette out the chalazion.

JCH MD
Thank You for your prompt replay.
That minor office surgery is called Lanced? or similar?
I just hope I don't  need the removal of the gland.

Thank you.
Incision and currettage of chalazion.

JCH MD
i have a large lump in my righ eyelid. Its has got worse and worse over a course of six months or so. I went to the eye doctors in london and they told me it was a chazalion (How ever its spelt) They have booked me in to have it removed... Now, my left eye has a slight swelling after using hot compress every other day on both eyes.. Its again, forming a lump.
Ive been hot compressing it and now it has a slight white head forming close to the eye lashes along with a lump. It looks like its in the early stages compared to the right eye, will hot compress and the doxcyline tablets make this go away>? i have the first one removed on the 13 may 2010 because everything i tried with this one has failed. probaly because i left so long witho out using hot compress and stuff because my doctor told me its was a sty. I knew it wasn't because sty accure on the eye lid margins, not in the eye lid itself.... Before i got the chazalion in the right eye, i had a sty which was very persistant. Did this cause the chazalion? I also have a small sty in the left eye before this other lump starting to appear..... do stys cause chazlions? if they do, then that why i have mine. Cant wait to get the bugger cut out! i feel like poping the rleft one because its forming a white head.... Is the white head forming because of the hot compresses? because it wasn't there before i started them.. Appartenly, it means its about to self drain ectttt??????
also, will the doctor do both eyes on the same day? ive been waiting like 3 months to have it removed, so will i have to wait a further 3 for the otehr one to be done. Unless of course this one go's by itself. Im 24 and its such a pain as ive never had any problems with my eyes up until the last year. do alot of people get chazalions? Because i have never of heard of it until i used my best friend google to find the sypstoms
My 4 year old has had a chalazion for several months. I was told to do hot compresses daily. My husband and I noticed it starting looking redder and forming a head. This morning after applying a compress it started oozing so I cleaned the eye with an occusoft cleansing pad. What next? Will she need an antibiotic? Will the oozing cause an eye infection? Will it all ooze out and finally clear up?
Use the search feature and archives and read the many posts about chalazions especially those in children

Check with your pediatrician or ophthalmologist. Likely an antibiotic ointment would be helpful.

Some chalazia clear up and others don't in severe cases in children the incise/curette has to be done under general anesthesia.

Usually chalazions do not cause eye infections

JCH MD
Thank you for your prompt response Dr. Hagan!
Best of luck. This is a chronic problem so keep lids clean using TheraTears SteriLid or Occusoft Foam Eye lid cleaner (either or but not both) available over the counter.

JCH MD