Eye Care Community
Chalazion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Chalazion

From: lind28 (Jan.23, 2008)

I recently found out I have what is called "Chalazion."  I have had it for a long time now.  4 years ago and last month.  I am going to go to Tallahassee to get it surgically removed "Again."  This is my third cysts.  I need to know, is there a way to prevent this from happening again.  I've tried  warm compressions, and eye drops, and even drops prescribed from my eye doctor, but nonthing is working.  The last time I had surgery to remove this, another one appearred beside it.  Surgery is my only option, and to be perfectly honest with you, I don't wish to make this a life time adventure. If there is a way to prevent this from coming back again, It would really make my day.  I can't have surgery  to remove this "Chalazion for the rest of my life.

Thank you,
Tags: chalazion
First learn more about chalazion. Paste this link in your internet browser and read it carefully.

http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic243.htm

Try using TheraTears SteriLid eyelid cleaner to remove oily debris. Ask the eyelid surgeon about going on tetracycline for a couple of months.

JCH III MD
I have the same problem.  I am a 22 year old male, in excellent health and physical condition.  Yet I too am waiting on my third chalazion removal procedure.  Ive tried everything the doctors say, and have read countless articles online on how to prevent and treat them.  Basically, no doctor has any good information on how to prevent these from occurring.  It is very frustrating to say the least.  I am in Tallahassee myself, may I ask where you are having your procedure done??
Use Occusoft pads and occusoft foaming eyelid cleaner (or TheraTears SteriLid foam eyelid cleaner) and ask your Eye MD abaout going on dioxycyline for 3-6 months.

JCH MD
Thanks for the info.  I seem to get one, then it spawns others around the area.   I have been using Occusoft pads for a month now, and not only have they not helped, but I have a new and much larger chalazion as of two weeks ago.  It started decreasing in size, but then as of a few days ago, suddenly grew again and became tender and red again.  Can I go to any doctor to get a dioxycyline prescription filled?  I am allergic to Penicillin as well, will that affect the use of the prescription?  And how can I receive a steriod injection?  I'm worried the chalzion is now so large that it will be difficult to lance when i see the doctor, as it keep growing in size for some reason.  I am at my wits end with this issue, as you can probably tell.  Thanks for your feedback however, it is appreciated.
IF you read the article on chalazia then you understand it doesn't "spread" to other places. its an OIL GLAND disease like acne. You will need to see a physician ideally an Eye MD to get a RX for deoxycycline.

JCH MD
I had surgery several months ago to remove 7 chalazions in my left eye.  3 on my upper lid and 4 on my lower lid.  Then I grew 5 more chalazions in my right eye.  2 on top and three on the bottom.  I just had the surgery removing all 5.  However, it's less then 2 weeks, since the surgery and now another chalazion (a hard lump under the eye) has grown in my lower eye lid on the same eye.  And the upper lid is red and sore.  How is it possible for a chalazion to grow and harden so quickly again after surgery?  The left eye is free from any reoccurences.  Should I have surgery again in the same eye, so soon after the last surgery?  I will use the warm compresses.  I just don't think they are useful.  What are my options?    
You will need to discuss this with your ophthalmologist. You have about 40-50 meibomean oil glands on each lid you you have 160-200 glands that can form a chalazion.  Discuss with your Eye MD also going on tetracycline for a couple of months.

JCH MD
hello
i'm left with a chalazion scar tissue on the upper right eyelid
and i really really want to remove it?

is there any way that i can remove it?
thanks
See an oculoplastic surgeon. Find one near you at www.aao.org  It might be excised or a steroid injection may get rid of it.
JCH MD
Hi There!

I just wanted to share with you my positive experience regarding a chalazion. I developed a chalazion about 10 days ago and I was scared that it was going to stay for a very long time and then after some research (days and days i might say) I read that someone's chalazion had gone away after three days of crying over the loss of a lost one. At first I was afraid to cry, thinking it would aggravate it, but then I realized that I was stressing out about it so much that the stress might be also making it worse. So I decided to let myself cry over it for about an hour (I did NOT rub my eyes at all). Today my chalazion is noticeably smaller!! I also did a lot of warm compress which might have helped too, but I really think the crying did it!

Good luck, and happy crying! :)
=
I'd like to point out that, based on my recent research (I have had a couple of chalazions in different eyes which appeared almost at the same time) I have read that some caution is needed with recurrent chalazions, since they can actually be a sign of sebaceous cell carcinoma.

Sebaceous cell carcinoma is rather uncommon, but unfortunately once it metastasizes it is almost incurable. If you suffer recurrent chalazions, removal via Mohs microsurgery and biopsy of the tissue might be a good idea, just to be sure.