Eye Care Expert Forum
Changes in vision after eye exam.

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Changes in vision after eye exam.

I had my pupils dilated 2 weeks ago for an eye exam, which I thought would be a problem free experience.
Since then I have noticed some disturbing changes in my vision.
For one thing, lights look brighter. Even the PC screen looks brighter.  I'm not talking about the obvious effects
of the pupil dilation. My pupils have returned to normal, as far as I can see.

Does this mean that there is some sort of increased light sensitivity in my eyes ?
How is that possible? What could have caused this ??
The eye drops that were used,  or the exam lights ?  Could this be a permanent thing?

Another thing; I am nearsighted. In my uncorrected vision (without glasses) I now see a star-like effect
(like a Christmas tree star) on streetlights and also small lights in my apartment that I am pretty positive were
NOT there before the exam. I think they are what some refer to as "starbursts".
When I put my eyeglasses on the "star" disappears, so you might say my corrected vision is somewhat unaffected
by this new star-effect.
Could there be a relation between these new "stars" and the apparent increased brightness / light sensitivity
that could have been caused by the dilation drops?
The dilating drops should not have any permanent effects.  It should all go away.  What you are seeing without glasses on is normal without correction and was probably there prior to the dilated exam.  I wouldn't be concerned, just ignore it and it will go away.

HV
You could always return to an ophthalmologist for a thorough check up to make sure all is normal.  They can check your color vision and contrast sensitivity to make sure all is normal.  Likely not necessary though unless you get some other more serious symptoms.

HV