Eye Care Expert Forum
Child eye blinking and rolling back to the right

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My son is 5 almost 6.  Around this time last year he started blinking his eyes a lot and rolling them back and to the upper right.  We took him to an Optomotrist and he said it was some muscle spasm. (Bolthea or something like that).  It eventually stopped so we didn't worry much about it.   About a week ago he started doing it again.  He says it doesn't itch or hurt but that it does burn.  Not to a point that he complains, just when you ask him about the blinking and rolling back.

Now tonight I'm reading and it mostly comes to "tics"......are there other reasons for the rapid blinking and rolling of their eyes?  Could it be allergy related?  

We have an appt w/ an Opthomologist next week and I'm hoping to find out why but any information you might could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
MomLove
Dear mamalove,

Be observant about your son while he is exhibiting this.  Is he able to answer your questions?  Does anything else move or blink a lot? Are his eyes red? Having as much information as possible will give the eyeMD information to make a diagnosis.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California