Chorioretinitis
Dear Dr,

My mother is 54 years old and as far as she can remember she had lost sight in her left eye from when she was born. Having gone to an eye specialist a year ago regarding worsening vision in her right eye, we were given the diagnosis of chorioretinitis in her left eye and medically unexplained visual loss in the right eye. The consultant however did not elaborate on how this was caused and offered no treatment.
  I have been investigating chorioretinitis and have found that it can be caused often by toxoplasmosis or CMV infection at birth, my mother was born in a rural village in Vietnam, is it possible that either infection may have been transfered to her via the placenta from her mother? She has had no tests yet to detect either.
  I ask because she suffers from dizziness, vertigo and feelings of nausea which affect her badly in terms of being able to coordinate herself etc, however this goes within 2 days, this however was diagnosed as labrinthitis. Could there be a possibility that she may be infected with the above all this time, and the symptoms of further visual loss in right eye and intense vertigo may be due to the infection being left untreated?

I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know your opinions on this as I am quite worried as to the further complications of the untreated infection aswell as her sight loss.

Kindest regards
Lisa
It could have been present at birth (congenital) or developed early in live (juvenile). Many cases of chorioretinitis can not be definitely attributed to a specific disease. Congenital syphilis is another not rare cause.  

The important thing is the vision in her right eye and rather than accept a diagnosis of "unknown" I would urge her to get a second or third opinion possibly from a neuroophthalmologist.

JCH MD