Eye Care Expert Forum
Chronic follicular conjunctivitis
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chronic follicular conjunctivitis

I'm a 31 year old white male. I've been suffering from chronic follicular conjunctivitis in my left eye for about five months now. I've been tested for a variety of causes--Lyme Disease, thyroid disfunction, sarcoidosis and others. I've also had CT scans to look for the presence of pseduo-tumor around my orbit, etc. I also recently had a biopsy to look for viral or bacterial causes and had a biospy done of both eyes. So far, nothing. I'm being treated with a steroid eye drop that isn't too strong--it apparently doesn't penetrate too deeply to avoid complications. This does help some of the irriation and redness, but both my left eye and eyelids are still fairly swollen and red.

My doctor is excellent and been very dilligent in studying my condition but a reason hasn't been discovered yet.

I'm trying to educate myself on this condition so I can help my doctor in any way I can. I'm hoping that someone on this forum might be able to offer some insights or suggestions.

I've recently read some about MRSA in the news. My wife is a nurse and has tested positive for this bug before and was treated. I've read where chronic conjunctivitis and MRSA can be related. Is this a good path to start down?

I'd take any suggestions you might offer. Thank you.