Eye Care Expert Forum
Chronic red eye in one eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Chronic red eye in one eye
Here's the symptoms:
very red eyes, sometimes both, more often the right one is much redder. Very bad upon waking--takes 45 minutes or so before the red begins to clear. Redness returns in force at night, normally around 10. This has been diagnosed as "allergies," yet Patanol drops have little to no effect, and I also take Claritin-D orally, and the redness occurs independent of where I am (i.e. it's the same if I'm in a field full of flowers as opposed to an office with AC). Also, because one eye is affected more, I tend to doubt that it is allergy-related. Other things to note: there is consistent pain in the affected eye. When I ride a bicycle for instance, the right eye (the one more often red) seems more sensitive to wind.

The only thing I can come up with is blepharitis. I have started using dandruff shampoo and also washing my eyelids with baby shampoo mixture. Any ideas? I'm at a loss here and it's very psychologically taxing...If it were blepharitis, how much time after clearing up dandruff/hygiene issues should I expect to see an improvement in redness?
We don't make diagnosis on this forum and can speak only to generalities. You symptoms do not suggest allergies. As you indicate allergy usually is both eyes and certain specific things 'set the eye off',  itching, not pain, is the predominent symptom.

Your symptoms do not correspond well with blepharitis.  More common causes might be dry eyes, superficial corneal dystrophies including recurrent erosions.

You should see a eye physician doctor of medicine (ophthalmologist Eye-MD) for a complete eye examination and specific diagnosis for your problem. Ask the technicians to have the doctor look at your cornea before any drops are put in the eye.

Good luck

JCH MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
I have the same exact symtoms as you. My right eye is always red especially in one spot. I use clear eyes drops every now and then and it works great but when i go to school and try to use them every day they eventually stop working. They are also really uncomfortable when a ceiling fan is on or like a vent in a car is blowing. I've had this redness for about 4 years now and I would love to find a cure for it. I've been to the eye doctor for contacts and he really doesn't say anything about the redness at all. Except to use dry eye drops even though they don't work at all. My eyes are really red at night time and in the mornings too. And when I stare at something for a while like a paper they get really red.
A related discussion, Same eye problems was started.
A related discussion, Same Problems was started.
A related discussion, Red Eyes was started.
A related discussion, chronic red eye was started.