Eye Care Community
Cipro & Floaters

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cipro & Floaters

My floaters appeared after I was given Cipro. This all started April 2006. I was given Cipro for a simple UTI, I was 36 years old. I was dizzy for three and half weeks, vertigo, nausea, then the ear pressure, spots in left eye, flashes in left eye, short term memory loss, horrible dreams, weak wrists and knees, massive floaters headaches, ears ringing, dry eyes, itching all over, rashes, insomnia, dark spots in left eye, eye pain, blurred vision, sensitive to sound, vitreous detachment happened in left eye and now happening with the right eye. I have filed a complaint with Med Watch, those of you that have taken Cipro and have the eye problems should file a complaint. The Doctor said I would get used to them, they would fall out of view. I’m not used to them and they have not fallen out of view. It’s been 2 years almost. It’s hard to wake up each day, my eyes are full of spots, floaters, sensitive to light, reading, night vision. My life was instantly and drastically changed.

This discussion is related to Floaters/After-Images/Photosensitivity/Black Spot: Is Cipro the cause?.
CIPRO DOES NOT CAUSE FLOATERS.  Any relationship to your taking it and the floaters is co-incidental. I just finished a course of Cipro myself.

JCH III MD
Cipro does cause floaters.  Just because it didn't happen to you, does not mean a thing.  Take it again or several times, and then come back here and type your story.  I have been to my eye doctors 7 times, and yes, they agree that Cipro can cause floaters and eye problems.  It is one of the side effects.
What other kinds of eye problems is it supposed to cause? I took a lot of Cipro, and have a lot of eye problems, but there is no evidence that the two are connected. How did your doctor connect them?Have you looked up the side effects on WEB MD or somewhere?
Took Cipro for 3 weeks. 4 months later have intracranial pressure, floaters (massive), visual snow, ringing ears, pressure in head, nausea, vomiting, adrenal problems (cortisol production has dropped 50% and it doesnt come back apparently), doctors say that the drug messed up my HPA axis probably since my adrenal glands look normal, developed hypothyroidism (have tests to prove that), collagen abnormalities and a dozen of other symptoms. Plus not to forget my spleen grew about 4 cm and i cant sleep on the left side at night.

I have quit my job, my basketball team and my studies and stay home now for 4 months due to cipro side effects. Have filed complains too. Its pointless, bayer wont do nothing before theres like probably 20000 deaths from this ****. But my life has been ruined at 27 yrs old.

THANKS CIPRO
--
-
Interesting.. When i got my floaters i had been on every perscription known to man.. Cipro was one of them.... Still have them.. annoying..
Cipro taken orally may cause some ocular problems such as blurred vision, change in color perceptions, light sensitivity, decreased visual acuity, diplopia, and eye pain. The manifestations of these symptoms depends on the amount of cipro taken and the duration of treatment. Generally, the ocular side effects are not all that common. There is NO mention of cipro causing floaters.

Cipro ophthalmic can cause a burning/stinging sensation when instilling, as well as a bad taste in your mouth. Also, in rare cases it can cause blurred vision, eye pain, and increased sensitivity to light. Again, there is no known relationship between cipro ophthalmic and floaters.

If you have any adverse side effects while taking any form of cipro talk w/ your doctor. However, please note that there has been no scientific evidence linking cipro and floaters.  
"Cipro taken orally may cause some ocular problems such as blurred vision, change in color perceptions, light sensitivity, decreased visual acuity, diplopia, and eye pain. The manifestations of these symptoms depends on the amount of cipro taken and the duration of treatment. Generally, the ocular side effects are not all that common. There is NO mention of cipro causing floaters."

Yeh this is spot on. The side effects of cipro are usually CNS related and so could lead to these kind of adverse events. The link to floaters seems fantasy though. There are a few reports of high dose cipro being associated with optic neuropathy but I think it resolves with cessation of treatment.  
Cipro can cause floaters. Upon my first dose of cipro I developed bilateral tendonitis in my ankles, and wrists. Peripheral neuropathy, chronic insomnia, chronic nightmares, digestive problems, dyspagia, muscle pains, tinnitus, ear pain, eye pain, eye floaters, eye flashing, lines in my vision, grainy/snow vision, poor night vision, blurry vision, poor adjusting from light to dark places. Dry mouth, Dry eyes, Dry and wrinkled skin. Caffeine intolerence that lasted 6 months, Pounding heart, pulsating sensations in my temples, neck, abdomen. Joint pains. Spider veins etc etc etc etc.... the list goes on and on.

Before all of this I was very healthy 23 year old male, with a diet primarily consisting of vegetables, fruits, nuts, lean meats and fish for the last 6 years. I've also been very active in sports all my life and very fit.

My life was completely changed 2 hours after my first cipro dose :(
Sorry to read about all your problems.  I took a 30 day regimen of Cipro and developed dry eyes, followed by floaters and light anomalies.  These symptoms were the result of vitreal detachments in both eyes.  The vitreal detachments led to retinal detachments in both eyes.  Although eye problems have yet to be well documented in scientific literature, cipro has a propensity to attack collagen.  The vitreous humor that fills the eye is mostly water interlased with collagen fibrils.  When the collagen fibrils are compromised, the vitreous can breakdown and collapse in on itself. This event is called a vitreal detachment.

I also experienced dry wrinkled skin.  But, of course, the biggest concern has been the retinal detachments.  Reattachment of the retina in my left eye was reasonablly successful although I lost about 20% of my vision.  The right eye was just finished so its too early to tell.  

I personally would avoid taking Cypro on a long term basis.  
cyprosited's theory about ciprofloxacin attacking the collagen in the vitreous humor seems quite plausible since cipro's well known side effect of tendonitis could also be caused by a collagen attack.

In light of cyprosited's experience, I'm hoping its just a coincidence, but I took a total of 10 grams (10,000 milligrams) of cipro over 10 days three months ago and in the last two or three days have experienced the following symptoms in my right eye: flashing light sensations and a single large floater to the right of my central vision which I believe represents the root of the optic nerve (the blind spot). These symptoms are new. I've had another visual symptom--floaters--for 25 years. By the way, I'm a myope.

About the only good thing that can be said of ciprofloxacin therapy is that it is better than losing life or limb to an infection. Typically cipro is used as an antibiotic of last resort--the last, best hope before amputation or death. It is a very powerful antibiotic but it also has some pretty ugly side effects.

Why haven't we heard from those people who took cipro and didn't have any visual problems? Perhaps we only hear about the coincidences that might occur purely by chance.
Well - I have been going crazy.  I too cipro Nov. 2000 and again Aug/07.
I have noticed major problems with my eyes now for maybe since the 2000 cipro.
I have had natural mono vision and was fairly happy that way. I spent a lot of time on computer starting 2000 so thought it was that maybe.  My first major symptom was that my eyes felt like I was looking into halogen lights, seeing blotches and blurred vision a very bleary eyed at the best of times causing squinting and much stress, but not much of a real problem with actual vision upon testing for glasses.  Then I also started seeing double which was getting worse and worse and was told adult strabismus but no bad enough to operate on so I was prescribed prism glasses for driving at least, but could use regularly.  So many things going on that specialists could not appreciate was as bad from my side as it was.  In 2007 then I saw about cataracts and one doctor said not bad enough to operate.  I went to another highly regarded and told I thought the double vision might be a result of the oncoming cataract and the mono vision situation.  He seemed to agree and we operated for cataracts on both eyes.  The first two weeks seems real good while I was still on the drops, but then and still now see a lot of blotches which I do not believe are floaters, poor focusing.  Best I can describe it is that I have oil in my eyes that won't mix with tears.  They also told me I have dry eyes and after testing that situation is apparently borderline.   I use drops constantly and while a little soothing the vision does not change.  I am now also using Restasis.  Oh yes, forgot to tell you that the double vision has improved considerably after 4th specialist and surgeon decided we should try that operation.  Thank God we at least fixed that part of it.  Now I am running around with my second set of glasses for reading, computer and distance after the cataract removals.  These are a little better, but nothing seems to make my eyes feel comfortable except not using them at all.  I know there was something that  happened around year 2000 that caused something to change with my eyes. I have been groping around to try to recall what might have done it and so far my best answer was too much computer use for long periods in improper lighting of fine work, such as a lot of accounting, or website design and I am such a perfectionist that everything has to be just so.
I would like to hear more about what could have caused my problems and if it all sounds familiar to anyone lets communicate so we can help others.  To date, the doctor who did the cataract is making me feel like a hypochondriac which I am not as he said I was expecting too much.  The people I talk to who have had cataract surgery are happy and not going through what I am and in fact I know this started before that surgery and I thought once that was done things would be great.  Well things aren't great and I sure would like to know how and/or what to do about it to change it.
They are finally reseaching this.  Levaquin is in the same class a CIPRO.

Portland, OR: As if tendinitis and tendon rupture were not serious enough Levaquin side effects, the antibiotic has now been linked to yet another side effect. The Levaquin medication, which already carries a warning about the risk of tendon ruptures and tendinitis, was linked in a study to an increased risk of diplopia (double vision). So patients who may have been concerned about Levaquin tendon ruptures may now have to be concerned about problems with their vision.

The study, which was published in the September issue of the journal Ophthalmology studied 171 case reports from the National Registry of Drug-Induced Ocular Side Effects, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the World Health Organization. Of those 171 cases, 20 were linked to Levaquin and 75 were linked to Cipro. Other drugs linked to double vision included Tequin, Avelox, Noroxin and Floxin. All are in a class of drugs known as fluoroquinolones and are used to treat infections, including bacterial or chronic bronchitis, sinusitis and urinary infections.
I too am on Ciproflaxin... for a sever sinus infection and to follow-up after sinus surgery to knock out the infection... i was on Augmentin for 45 days andhad some issues with that and have felt relief to b eon the Cipro, but about four days into the Cipro I have developed Sever dry eyes... Though it was related to the toxins from the infection, but perhaps it is the "cure" and not the infection... this drug is scaring me now... I'm going to see my Doc tomorrow and will talk to him about it...   I have been somewhat light sensitive too.  No floaters or double vision, but a little blurry at times.

I think that we are only hearing from people with problems with the drug because we are the only ones needing to find answers to our misery... if you take a drug and have no issues why would you bother to look up problems... you're probably just relieved to have found a drug that works... Interesting the the official websites barely mention any issues with vision stuff in the 200,000+ people that they tested on...
I took Levaquin within 5 days my eyes became dry, it's been 6 months and hasn't resolves yet.  It's chronic dry eyes.  2 months afterwards I started getting extensive amounts of floaters in both eyes.  None which has resolved.

I've talked to many people who also have experienced these side effects.  It's clear the medical community has no clue how fluroquinolone antibiotics effect some people and why.  It's been proven, just ask doctors at Mayo Clinic who wrote an article in Feb 2011.
Thank you for your post.

I hope you are feeling better. I know how bad the floaters can be.  It changed my life from the moment I open my eyes each morning.

If you get a chance, please post the Mayo Clinic article from 2011 here, the link so everyone thus far and in the future and read it from this thread. :)  That would be great if you have time though, no worries if you are too busy.

I was told at the beginning of this thread...basically that I WAS WRONG.
Which I know my body and my health at the time and there was no reason to give me Cipro for my minor UTI. The vitreal detachment that I had in my left eye and all those other issues because of Cipro...dizzy, vertigo, nausea, ear pressure, spots in left eye, flashes in left eye, short term memory loss, horrible dreams, weak wrists and knees, massive floaters headaches, ears ringing, dry eyes, itching all over, rashes, insomnia, dark spots in left eye, eye pain, blurred vision, sensitive to sound, vitreous detachment happened in left eye....all happened within weeks of taking Cipro and the Cipro was the ONLY thing I was taking.  
http://www.levaquinadversesideeffect.com/wp-content/uploads/Documents/Hall-2011.pdf

It's been 7 months now, I have the following symtpoms after 5 Levaquins:

* Pain In bottom of feet
* Pain in ankles
* flat feet
* Left Knee Pain
* Right Rotator Cuff / Bicep Pain after activity
* Chronic Dry Eyes
* Eye Floaters
* Random Muscular Pains At Times

Floaters are probably caused by connective tissue problems caused by cipro for you and Levaquin for me.  

The doctor above obviously hasn't responded back because he's clueless and is living in a fairy world thinking this medicine is safe for everyone.  In small cases it's a destructive medicine.  

My life has never been the same since that day, it was the worst mistake I ever made was to take the medicine.  I paid $40 to have my life destroyed.
After many years do you now believe cipro can cause floaters?
why don't you reply back sir?
I was given Cipro as a first antibiotic for a UTI so mild it didn't even show up as positive in my urine test. The pharmacist refused to give me a consultation, I read every bit of small print, did NOT want to take it just based on that, but unfortunately I was prescribed it at an urgent care and had no way to get a different antibiotic. I had taken Levaquin before with no side effects at all, so I hoped any side effects would be temporary and hoped for the best.

I took it for three days. For some reason the doctor put me on 1000mg a day even though I'm only 5'2 and weigh 110. It caused hellish insomnia, anxiety, pain in my throat, inability to speak correctly, blurred vision, my left eye became dry upon one of the very last doses, chest pain, a thousand other things I'm not going to bother listing off because thankfully they are gone now.

The second doctor admitted I had an adverse reaction to it, but did not write it down and sent me to the ER for a "stomach ache" I never had. My eye is still dry and my vision is now blurred on that side. I only went back to SWITCH TO A NON-LIFE RUINING ANTIBIOTIC. The ignorant/callous people at the hospital did not give me a second antibiotic, but I still have the dry eye (though my other one is completely normal!) from the Cirpo. The doctor never should have prescribed this for a mild UTI, the nurse on the phone had the audacity to SCREAM AT ME that "none of her patients had a bad reaction to it and Cipro can't cause an adverse reaction." From the sounds of it, a lot of her patients probably died and never called back! What a rude, audacious, hateful woman she was!!!

I am considering suing the hospital and that repulsive woman. She should not be a nurse, usually doctors are the ones who act like megalomaniacs, right? My vision and EYE DRYNESS have yet to return to normal though my other symptoms have thankfully mostly faded. How dare ANYONE tell someone given this poison there are "no side effects." Even the evil people at Bayer admit there are some, that redneck loon of a nurse is going to lose her job for this. Every medication can have adverse effects, for her to say there's no such thing as an adverse effect from Cipro or ANY MEDICATION is inaccurate and absurd! Same as the quack doctor at the beginning of this thread!

They never should have given me Cipro. My urine didn't even test positive for a UTI!!!!!!!! So all I had was a potential UTI, and now my left eye is seemingly permanently damaged. That repulsive excuse for a nurse belongs in prison as does anyone who doles out this poison. DO NOT EVER LET A DOCTOR, NURSE, OR PHARMACIST TELL YOU THIS STUFF IS OK TO TAKE, ITS NOT!
I am a drug safety researcher. We have recently discovered that quinolone antibiotics including cipro increase the risk of retinal detachment. Please be cautious taking this class of drugs and learn about signs and symptoms of retinal detachment
I have many other issues after taking LEvaquin.. Is there any way you can help us get the word out?
To all doctors that say cipro does not cause this or does not cause that I say to you to return to the scientific basis of your medical training.  Parsimony dictates that the simplest answer is almost always the correct answer.  If there are thousands of people reporting the same side effects after taking cipro then the most parsimonious explanation is that the conditions are in fact side effects of cipro.  Quit letting the drug reps educate you.  Do your own due diligence and be what you are supposed to be....a scientist applying science to human health.
Hi Jaideepg.  THere are face book sites on adverse events of fluoroquinolones. The word on retinal detachment will be out when the paper is published. What other issues are you facing?
* Flat Feet / Ankle overpronation
* Hip & Knees Snap
* Dry Eyes
* Floaters
* Tinnitus
* Rotator Cuff Issues on Right Arm
* High Heart Rate Upon Standing

On April 10, 2011 I was healthy.
On April 11, 2011 I had onset of symptoms that included. burning in my legs, arms, chest pain, difficulty walking, tightness in legs, blurry vision, weak arms.

From then on the symtpoms kept getting worse. Now they have settled but I have a lot of damage to my feet, knees, eyes, ears, and am on medicine to lower heart rate.
I am truly sorry to hear these horror stories.

I got my first detachments within 2 days after taking tobramycin (tobrex) eye drops. Although belonging to a totally different family of antibioitics (aminoglycosides), I strongly suspect the detachments were caused by the antibiotic and not the eye inflammation, because it was mild (the eye was only slightly pink) and I am fairly young at 33 years.

I did the dosage of the drops according to the instruction, the only thing that I might have done wrong is that kept the eye wide open with two fingers when instilling the drop, to stop the blinking reflex, and therefore the antibiotic ended up also under my upper eyelid. Not sure if this results in overdose? Does anyone know?
Have you seen any connection between Ciprodex ear drops and retinal detachment?
How about Levaquin?  Can that cause vitreous detachment?  I only took one pill (have taken it many times in the past) and got tendonitis immediately, which hasn't gone away after a month, and a vitreous detachment 2 weeks after taking it.
It is a quinolone antibiotic, same family as Cipro, so my answer is yes.
I hope there is a class action regarding Cipro and vision because it has ruined my life.  I am the original poster and look at all of the people that posted below me with the same exact issue.  I was given Cipro for a MILD UTI, never should have given it to me and I am to this day very upset about it.
Wow...I started cipro about a week ago and 3 days after starting it I began having ear pressure and pain. Doctor says it is not related to the Cipro and to take some decongestants. Do not have any stuffiness or anything just ear pain and feels like they need to pop and won't. After reading all these wondering if it is related???
I have all the things tht you just listed and adrenal problems are caused
by stress .  The adrenal failure causes the thyroid disease, I also have numerous lesions on my brain.  I have never taken Cipro, till recently but i had al these other problems. I will agree it gave me a headache.  Just thought I would add my story but you probaly had thse her things before
you took the Cipro.  Hope this helps
Hello, your symptoms are serious enough I signed up to comment. I am so sorry you're so ill! Me too.. I have all those same symtoms (symptoms), but I've found some answers:

It sounds like you could have Bartonella (cat scratch disease). It's a disease commonly found along with Lyme disease, and can be transmitted either from ticks or scratches from cats or other animals. It's common and can be a very stealthy disease until provoked by certain antibiotics.. and it is notorious for vision/eye problems.

I have both Bartonella and Lyme, and I experienced the exact same flare of symptoms you described, but from a different antibiotic (completely different class). It isn't the antibiotic itself, it's because of the infection. Bacterial reactions to abx result in a lot of toxic die-off, a LOT of inflammation, and sometimes worsened symptoms if the antibiotics aren't taken long enough.

So many doctors have their heads in the sand.. I was misdiagnosed for over a decade and have had to live half-dead all these years with those awful symptoms.  The tests for these infections are garbage I tested negative the first time and know many other people with the same story! I can direct you to help, there are many of us going through treatment and dealing with these problems.

One by one the symptoms improve with treatment.. If you want help, google ilads (It looks like I'm not allowed to link you) and send them an e-mail through their website, they can tell you what doctors are properly trained and able to help you in your area (they know the good ones!) Those doctors are called Lyme Literate Medical Doctors (LLMDs) they are experts in Bartonella as well, and all other diseases that go along with lyme. No average doctor can or will help you

If you're unsure, google lyme and co-infection symptoms.. it's likely you'll find similarities. Every single one of your symptoms can be explained by tick-borne illnesses.. Good Luck, I'm truly very sorry you are unwell..
Hi Shelly8884,

Thank you for the reply! I will definitely check into this :)  
I took only 4 doses of cipro and started having anxiety attacks (had never had them before and I'm 60 years old) and developed floaters which caused even more anxiety attacks. I've been seeing an opthamologist ever since and was diagnosed with vitreous detachment (which I had never even heard of before taking cipro). My question now is there anything to reverse the damage? I just want my former eyesight back. I especially notice it now after a snow fall - it's so white outside. This all happened last April. If anyone has suggestions as to how to restore what was destroyed I'm all ears! What's done is done and I just want to move forward and see if there is anything that helps this situation.
Hi, I am the original poster of this thread.  I'm so sorry you had a vitreous detachment like me.  I had to wait over a year and they did surgery to remove the large floater in my left eye. They had me wait to see if it would drop out of view, but it never did, so surgery was the option.  It was a breeze and I was able to see again out of my left eye without the massive floaters. I hope this is an option for you.  My right eye still has them, but not as bad and I can so far at this moment, live with those.  Take care and I hope you feel better soon :)
You need to educate yourself on fluoroquinolones dr.  Better take a brush up course on pharmacology. Cipro is posion to the CNS and causes a long list long term symptoms. CIPRO does affect the optical discs and fluid in the eyes.
Very well said!  
LIAR
Cipro is nothing but poison designed to keep you coming back for the treatment of side effects, money money money!!!
I hope you have changed your mind about FQs and eye issues after you wrote about retinal tears. As someone said just because floaters didn't happen to you  it doesn't mean it can't happen to others. I was just diagnosed with optic neuropathy and although I told my ENT surgeon NOT to give me any FQs as in 1997 I was and still have very bad health issues from the Floxin and Cipro given to me. She didn't adhere to my wishes and put Floxin soaked gelfoam pledgets in my head during a facial nerve decompression. I have been very very sick since then although "topicals" are not included in most research because people don't report their ADRs to the FDA/Medwatch and the FDAs database is not kept up to date anyway.

Sherry Reiver