Eye Care Expert Forum
Clarification Please

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Clarification Please

Dear Sir,
My cousin, age-sixteen years, male is having the eye sight as follows.
Right Eye-Dist. Vision-Sphere 4.50, Cyl.-0.50, Axis 60 deg, vision-6/6
Left Eye-Vision 6/6

Doctor has recommended for constant use of White lens.
I request you to kindly clarify the below doubts.
-We heard that after the age of 21 years, eye sight will become normal and no need to wear goggles.  Is it true?
-Can we avoid the glasses by doing LASER treatment.  Is the present age (16 years) is acceptable for LASER treatment?
-As he is a student, is there any precautionary measures can be taken while studying.
-Any other suggestions please.

I will be obliged for any kind response.
Thank you.

You need to send the prescription for the vision in the left eye (you sent the one for he right eye)

JCH III MD
Dear Dr. JCH,
Thanks a lot for your response.
The Left Eye details are Sphere 4.00, vision 6/6.

Request you to kindly suggest accordingly.
Your cousin is farsighted or hyperopic. It means his eyes are shorter than normal. At age 16 he is NOT likely to outgrow this. (sometimes in very young children they do 'outgrow' farsightedness when they start their period of rapid growth.

I do not know what "white lens" means. He does need to wear glasses or contact lens.

LASIK laser treatment doesn't work as well for farsightedness as it does for myopia or near-sighted. He is likely NOT a good candidate for LASIK.

His best option would be modern glasses or even better contact lens.

There are no limitations on using his eyes. My recommendations for him: study hard and get all the education you can get.

Relax hyperopia is NOT a disease in this degree.  His brothers and sisters (and way down the road his children) need to be watched very carefully. This degree of farsightedness in infants or young children can cause crossed eyes and poor vision our of one eye (amblyopia).

JCH III MD Eye Physician and Surgeon
Dear Dr.JCH,
Thank you very much for your detailed response.

Regards
Sekhar