Eye Care Community
Clear,Long,Stringy Goo in Eye Constantly

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi, I am 31 and as long as I can remember I have had problems with my eyes. Througout the day I have to wash out eyes, out my fingers in eye to remove the stuff- I know this can't be good but it happens so often I have to. It is clear, and runs in the bottom of eye, on eye, top of inside eye, long stringy goo. I can lightly wet a cutip- put in inside corner of eye and spin. The stuff goes from top to bottom. It is such an irritant. What could this be- I went to dr before and they said it was allergies. All the time I dont think so. I have really long eyelashes could that have something to do with it. I cant even wear makeup because it makes much more stuff in eye. Please any advice will help.
You need to see a Eye MD ideally one that specializes in cornea and external disease. Find one at www.aao.org

JCH MD
I too have this problem, I think it started a few years after I started wearing contacts. I have to clean out my eyes about three or four times a day. Whenever I take a shower and I'm wearing my contacts I'll have it. When I wake up in the moring and at night my eyes get really dry and it starts to build up. I'm 32 and I've had it for a little more than ten years now. The doctor gave me some eye drops a few years back and it didn't really work. I just wash my hands and stick my finger on the bottom of my eye and it sticks and then try to follow it to get it all out and I'll be good for a few hours. This ***** and I wish there was something too stop this from happening.
Wow!  Thought I was the only with this issue...  Someone please tell us what this is and how to make it stop.  I'm 30 and this "eye goo" started appearing about 15 years ago.  I can work the string to the inner part of my eye and usually pull most of it out.  I don't wear contacts or glasses and eyedrops irritate my eyes. So, I'm not sure what is causing this and I hope eyedrops aren't the only cure! This stuff is annoying, sometimes painful, and if it's over my pupil, I can't see clearly.  I seriously hope someone can help us out!
"Mucus fishing syndrome" - look it up.  You will never get over this until you can COMPLETELY STOP puting fingers/kleenex/anything in your eyes.  See EyeMD for help.
This is crazy...I finally after all this time decided to look this up and I didn't think I would find anything! I thought I was the only weirdo pulling crap out of my eyes. Since I was like 11 maybe I've been rubbing the corners or red part of my eye and pulling like this long clear or white stringy thing out. And it feels so relieving but then once you do it it's like your eye is uncomfortable until you get the rest of whatever is in there out? By the time I'm done my whole eye gets red and burns to even touch it. What in the world is this??
i have had this for years. it really does hurt, and i know i shouldnt put my fingernails in my eye, but i cant not! one remedy is make a cup of tea and put warm teabag on your eye. very soothing..... not anything funky like lemon tea,
I also have had this for quite sometime now. Years, I believe. I too have dug in my eye with my fingers until it hurts! The goo is there when I wake up and I have to clean it out. It seems that I can pretty much do it anytime throughout the day and find something. At least 2 or 3 times throughout the day, I can get the ones that go all around my entire eye! Top to bottom and corner to corner. It's SO WEIRD!! And feels so relieving and good in a strange way. Why does it form?? Where does it come from?? I have advice for some of you, I have found a very easy way to do this without hurting myself. 1-Get a bottle of ClearEyes (visine irritates my eyes). 2-Whenever you feel something that needs to come out, you know the feeling, put a drop in each eye. 3-open your eyes wide as you can and move your eyes all around (that will move junk to the corner of your eye). 4-put end of q-tip right in the inside corner of your eye, so that it touches your eyeball a little bit, twist a tiny bit, lift slowly. It ALWAYS works for me. If it doesn't work the first time, you can always get on the second time. Good Luck, I hope it works just as well for you.
Sorry, forgot to add. I find it a whole lot easier getting all or most of goo at one time, when the eye is wet (ClearEyes), rather than dry. But, REMEMBER to use the q-tip. A q-tip at any given time is probably more sanitary than your fingers and less irritating. :-)
I have this problem to it started with the stuff in my eye being irritating and somethings it goes across your eye and then you have to get it out to see better.then you keep doing it all the time and cant stop like me.Is there no help for this but to stop doing it?I mean is there help with the mucus anything to make less mucus like and eyedrop or pill?anyone know?Im guess the more we keep putting our finger in our eye lids to get the stuff out the more were  irritating our eyes but its really hard to stop doing this as it always feels like somethings in your eye.
I thought I was the only one this happens to. I pick with my eye until I feel its gone. It drives me crazy everyday, Im reading post with people saying contacts.I have never worn contacts nore have I had glasses.
I, too, thought I was the only person with this icky, embarrassing condition.  I have the mucus, the amount, the constant urge to clean out my eye, etc.  I've had this at 11 years.
My optomitrist has told me this an allergic reaction.  He has repeatedly prescribed drops that contain antibiotics and steroids.  I can't recall the name, but they have never worked (except I think I remember one gunk-free week).
My GP also prescribed the same medicine once or twice.
From my interent research these symptoms are allergic.

What I don't get is why I don't have allergic reactions anywhere else - my other eye is fine, I don't have a chronically runny nose, or wheezing.
My opt. rolled his eyes when I mentioned I was getting a cat, but again I don't seem to be allergic to my cats - I've had them for 16 years.
I agree - -What's up??!!  I'm seeing (no pun) an opthomologist next week for another problem.  If I learn anything I'll post.
i have the same problems! geez i thought i was going crazy! i want to my eye dr like 50 times and he perscribed me so many diff steroid drops and everything u could imagine! at first it was bacterial infection, then it was allergies, then it was conjunctivitis, then he thought i was having an allergic reaction so something.. anow he thinks my eyes are just super super dry.. well **** i wonder why ! but pretty much i still have the stuff in my eyes along with a bajillion perscribed eyedrops that never worked.. i dont know what to do i am messing with my eyes so much that it is causing bags under my eyes! someone please help and find a reson my eyes.. along with everyone elses are on the fritz!!!!
I too have all of these symptoms and it's really getting me down. Sometimes I'll be driving to work and my eye will blur. It goes away if I blink a few times but of course comes back until I can wash out or clear the goo from the corner or lower lid of my eye. I get bags under my eyes too from all the constant searching and pullling around the lids. My eyes are always uncomfortable. I get headaches most days. I am now finding that my right eye is really sensitive to light - especially from TV and laptop etc.
One worrying thing that is making me wonder if this is hereditary: my 7 year old son has just described the exact same symptoms as me. I didn't get this until a couple of years ago!
If anybody can provide any long term help or relief suggestions I would be really pleased.
I too have this problem and it is so irritating. My eyes always feel weirdly wet. I use q-tips,kleenex, and sometimes my fingers or shirt to get this clear stringy goo out of my eye. I really hate when it gets on my eye and everything goes blury. About 2 months ago I went to the ER because I had something in my eye, the nurse was like what is that gel stuff in your eye. I said I don't know you tell me. I have had it as long as I can remember, anybody finds a way to make it stop let me know please.
I'm 15 and I have this problem. I'm all ways itching my eyes because it feel like theres an eyelash or somthing. But it's those white long stringy things. My friends think I'm weird because of it.
OMG I WAS SCARED TO TELL ANYBODY ABOUT THIS!
i thought i was the only person!! it gets that bad i cant even watch a film im constantly messin with my eyes and it gets really saw and red raw!! its actualy satisfies me now to get it out but 2 mins later ive got my fingers in my eyes!!!! please help!! its ruining my life literaly!!!
This is called 'mucus fishing syndrome':

http://www.drmalcolmmckellar.co.nz/mucous-fishing-syndrome.html

Apparently it usually starts because of some kind of irritation, but it becomes an obsession in some people, so treatment inivolves a certain amount of psychological awareness.
I have had this problem sense I was probably like nine And I'm now 24. It's soo embarassing! Especially when I'm around other people! They're probably thinking, what in the world is that woman doing?! I just wish it go away. . It's soo hard to stop, or just not do it, it's almost like an addicting drug! My eye dr. Told me I had "chronic dry eye" and gave me a few eye drops and said to use them whenever I felt it. Well bs, who wants to put eyed tops in their eyes ALL day?! There HAS to be something else out there for this. I'm so scared that by the time im like 30 or so, my eyes will be all droopy or something from pulling them down all the time. . PLEASE, someone. . HELLLP
I would suggest a two-pronged approach to your problem.  

1. You need to see another eye doc who is familiar with 'Mucus Fishing' and who will prescribe serious meds to quiet down the inflammation and irritation in your eyes and make them more comfortable.

2.  After such a long time, you probably will also need the help of a therapist, as well, because bviously, the activity has become sort of compulsive for you, and you don't love it.  Who would?  And you are right: people probably do stare at you, because it is strange behavior.

Here's more info:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11712630
I have this same problem! As of now, it's April 15, 2012 and i started wearing color contacts(honey) in January 2012. On the date of April 13, 2012 i bagan to start having this nasty mucus stuff blind me on the left side of my contact in my left eye. I use my finger to get it out when it moves to the bottom of my eye and it is very slimmy and gross looking mucus stuff. I need help to get rid of it because it is sooooo irritating!!!

p.s. It started after i started wearing contacts.
It's sounds like conjunctivitis and it's contagious.  You need to get a prescription from you physician to get rid of it.
stop touching your eyes! it will keep coming back until you stop. what you need to do is get a large bowl and fill it with water. put it in the microwave for 4-5 mins to boil the water, then add about 1 teaspoon salt and stir til you can see the salt dissolve. if the water is too hot to touch, wait for it to cool down just enough to stand the hot temperature on your face. once it is at the right temperature, hold your breath and dip your whole face into the water for 30 seconds, opening your eyes a few times so that the salt water can kill any bacteria that is in your eye and causing it to be irritated. pat your face and eyes dry with a CLEAN piece of paper towel. DO NOT STICK ANYTHING IN YOUR EYE AT ALL AFTER THIS, or you'll have to start again. by the time you've slept and wake up the next morning, you'll notice your eyes will have improved greatly, if not completely.
(repeat if neccesary.)
you need to take silica from health shop,it will help stop the mucus build up,by stopping you producing it,also take 1 allergy tablet in morning take few days to kick in does work!
I have this problem frequently. I am sixteen years old and have worn glasses my entire life. I only started wearing contacts when I was twelve. I've been to the eye doctor multiple times with this and each time I am told my eyes have built up an allergic reaction to my contacts. I've had this many times since I was 15 and it keeps coming back. I've changed my contact brand multiple times. They try and blame it that I over wear my contacts and sleep in them; I only wear them a day each and NEVER sleep in them. Each time I am given Pred Forte drops to make the "eye goo" go away. It works for a while, but a few weeks/ months later it's back. I wish it would go away!! If any of you find something that permanently relieves this please let me know! thanks.
This actually has a name. It is called 'mucus-fishing syndrome.'. It usually begins with some kind of real eye irritation, but in some people it takes on a life of its own, kind of an obsessive-compulsive thing.  In general, curing ti. seems to require an eye doc to quiet down the eye irritation--plus a psychologist's or psychiatrist's help for the emotional compulsion.

Here is more info:

Your info will be my first real attack on eye goo issue. I'll report back txs. I feel good about at least trying your method and pleazz hope it works for me! KT
You can also use a variation of ilovelucy's suggestion and create the salt water mixture and use an eye dropper to drop a few drops of the solution in your eyes.  However, it is important you create a new solution every day so the solution doesn't grow bacteria.  Good luck!
Argh...now i realize i'm not the only one that always try to stick my finger into my eyes to pull out the stringy white goo. I'm 32 and i started to have this problem for almost 3 years, where i started to have this when i was working oversea (UK), and carry this back to my home country (Malaysia) till now.
As anyone else here did, i went to so many eye specialists and i've been hearing from the doctor that my eyes are healthy, pressure okay, might be allergy with shampoo/skincare, nothing serious in particular, just my eyes a bit dry. I was given lots of eye lybricants, oinment, drops, sterile drops...etc etc and still the problem persists.
My last visit to eye specialist was 4 weeks ago, where this time the doctor actually introduce a new term 'Mucus Fishing Syndrome' which achillea keep posting previously, and he gave me 2 eye drops, Allergan Relestat Sterile drop to put day and night, and Systane Balance lubricant eye drop to put during the days whenever needed.
However, the above drops don't seem to resolve the problem yet, but it does make my eyes feel more relief and less stingy.
I can't wear contact lens now because the mucus will be generated so frequently and it feels like eyelashes/stuffs stuck in my eyes that forces me to pull out my contacts. :( My eyes are so baggy and so sore most of the times now.
Do share if anyone have tried out new remedies that works.
Wow I have had the same thing for years we cannot all be crazy this has to be an unknown condition!! I have seen four doctors and an eye specialist and still no difference. Eye drops/gel/ointment, antibiotics and allergy medication!! None worked ;((((

It's VERY well known, but somewhat difficult to treat.  Google 'mucus fishing syndrome.'  You'll get a lot of hits like this one:

http://www.revoptom.com/content/d/comanagement_q___and___a/i/1350/c/25906/

Reading about it enough to understand and accept what is going on will help.
ASE SOMEONE GIVE US A FEASIBLE ANSWER
FIRST I want to start by saying...HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT A LOT OF PPL SUFFERING FRM THIS ARE WITHIN THE SAME AGE RANGE??!! I am 32 and have been suffering from this eye mucus since I was 17. I am CONSTANTLY feeling this in one or both eyes and it feels like sand is in my eye, i cant go 5 minutes without rushing to the mirror and scourge the mucus out of my eye or eyes! EYE FISHING SYNDROME!? PAH! That was someones way out of doing some research in the matter so they just call us all crazy and label us as having EYE FISHING SYNDROME! DUDE! THERE IS MUCUS IN OUR EYES AND NOTHING WORKS! HELP, RESEARCH PLEASE DRS, NOT LABEL AND RIDICULE US! I bet if an eye dr was experiencing this themselves, they would put forth the effort to really find out about this "disease".  NO ONE IS IMAGINING THIS IT IS REAL SYMPTOMS AND REAL PEOPLE!
im 16 years old now and im having the same watery eye problem, i'v noticed that my eye shape changed too as it was bigger before the age of 16..... this has become soo irritating especially when it comes to yawning as more water is produced and that phrase of "eye fishing syndrome" i hate this feeling it's the most annoying-est thing that has ever happened to me!! plz someone do something about this .....
I'm 24 and mine started around 4-5 years ago. I had been really sick with a cold or whatever and I was on the phone with a client at work and she was talking about how she had been really sick. She said "you know I always put off going to the doctor but I reached my limit the other day, even my eyes are getting gross.. I have slime in them." I thought OH, maybe that's all mine is, went to the doctor, crap crap crap.

I got contacts a couple years later and it started getting worse.. told the doctor, changed solutions a hundred times like he said, crap crap crap crap..

I've googled before but never get an answer.. just people saying the same thing. I'm googling again today because my eye was so damn irritated, I kept opening my eye really wide and lifting up my top lid because it almost feels like something's trapped under my upper lid.. I honestly thought I'd find AT LEAST an eyelash. Didn't see anything, but kept getting the goo in the corner of my eye, which usually it doesn't build up that fast unless I put in eye drops or something. Usually it's small strings in the bottom lid.. (my eyes also have bags, are raw and sore, etc.).. So finally my eye started watering super bad and i just kept blinking really hard.. after one of the blinks, I opened my eyes and look in the mirror because I could feel something HUGE.. It was a BIG thing of goo.. nothing like I usually find. It was like really thick and almost green?!? So eye fisher people, was I just supposed to let that big green slime ball sit in my eye? I couldn't even see! Even when it's just the normal string things, when they slide across your eye, you can't see.. everything is blurry!
I am 14 and I too have this problem.. It hurts so bad!! Everyone says that I shouldn't touch it, but they are so erritating. I mess with them until they hurt so bad and they are swollen! The doctor says they are allergies and I have used several eye drops, but yet none of them work. My mom just recently started letting me wear make up, but now I can't because of my eyes. It's really embarrissing when your at school and someone says you have green goop at the corner of your eye. I wish it would just go away because it hurts so bad. What is this masterious creature and why does it mess with us?
i am 26 it just started doctor says its dry eye and my eye has cracks because of it common in peopel w contacts. i have 20/20 vision up til this problem and i pull the discharge out of my eye constantly. he said id have to live with it. what is it. why did it happen out of the blue and what do i do. PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
never realized how serious this was i first had this problem when i came home from college and my allergies started acting up runny nose non stop sneezing the itchy eyes then extremely itchy eyes no body could see any thing in my eye for almost a day then i saw it string in my bottom eye lid pulled it out and instant relief went to sleep and made my eye tear up a little before i closed it to sleep and when i woke up it was all crusty around my eye lashes washed my face and did not have a problem until recently when my allergy started acting up again used some old pink eye drops from my dad that were still in the medicine cabinet and it brought most  the mucus to the corner still had a string under my bottom eyelid i had to find and pull out after a few hrs cleaned my eye out put another drop in before went to sleep and again crust outside my eye when i woke up but once i clean that off when i wash my face in the morning i do not have a problem
I started getting this weird occurrence in my right eye I just hope it doesn't happen on my left eye. This long string substance blocks my vision, I thought I was going blind I hope I'm not, not sure why this is happening to me at the age of 19, it really does bother me.  I want to be able to see clearly with my eyes without, feeling worried and it's just annoying, my right eye is constantly itchy, it's hard not trying to rub it. I want answers as to why this is happening, now I have to take eye drops on a regular basis.
I have this do u have other symptoms any tight skin or dry looking skin, any sores or newly noticed freckles or moles? Also any did
Digestive issues or problems with teeth
Or Gums
This is more than likely allergic conjunctivitis... usually nothing serious and caused mainly by something irritating they eye (allergies, dry eyes, smoking, contacts, your finger, cotton swabs, etc.) If the discharge is clear or light yellow it's normal but if it's a darker color of yellow or green then you may have a viral infection. Your options are to A) stop being around or using whatever is irritating your eyes. B) use antihistamine eye drops to inhibit the allergic reaction if it's caused by allergies. or C) use a saline eye solution to keep eyes moist if it's caused by dry eyes. If it's serious (like you can't open your eyes or they're extremely red and agitated) I would recommend seeing a doctor soon. If you wear contact lenses then don't sleep in them and I would personally recommend letting them soak in the clear care contact solution as it does a better job at disinfecting and cleaning contacts.  
I've had white eye goo for years, needing to be removed several times a day, usually every 6 hours or so.  This, despite vigorous washing of my face, eye sockets, forehead with soap and a cloth every morning.  My eye doctor had suggested that I needed to wash that way, that this goo was something "homeless people" have when they don't wash enough.
But despite all the washing, it's still there just like before.  I'm trying to connect the dots on several symptoms I have where all the relevant doctors have said "I don't know why that happens" to the tune of thousands of dollars.  (My next career will be  a doctor, charging people to tell them you have no idea what their problem is seems very lucrative indeed)

Here's my combination of symptoms above the neck:  Eye goo, high pressure in one of my eyeballs similar to Glaucoma, but it's not Glaucoma, just that my baseline eyeball pressure inside is above normal.  Other symptoms:  Very sensitive gums, for two years now, have trouble with cold liquids, sometimes sugar, also gums have receeded a bit on same side.   Vasomotor Rhinitis - On the same side of my head that accumulates eye goo, has sensitve gums, and elevated eye pressure, the nose is usually blocked due to swollen turbinates.  Can't pass air through it hardly at all.  Not much plegm at all, but still swollen.  I've tried eliminating Gluten and Dairy, no change at all.  Next I'll try eliminating sugar and coffee.

I have to wonder if there is some general irritant, infection, or condition in the nervous system that is causing an overreaction in some of my autonomic responses in the left side of my head.  Anyone else have this combination?
i definitely know how you feel! I'm 13 and every single minute of every single second there is something in my eye. i think this comes from my excessive touching my eye, but i cant help it. I always get comments on how "toasted" i look. Everyday someone tells me I have sleep in my eyes and it makes me look bad. I normally get this around this time because pollen is everywhere. How do you cure something that you cant get away from. It helps sometimes to wash my face or eyes but  it always ends up coming back with a vengeance. I also pick in my eye only making it look worse.
What are some things you try?
PICKING IN MY EYES NOW!
i think it is allergies,i have ALWAYS had problems with my eyes....itchy constantly feeling like something would be crawling around,then i rinse them with water and the burn actually feels so relieving,not even visine allergy works.....try taking a dose of allergy medicine....this SOMETIMES works. There is some eye drops by aquafin i think its aqua something and it feels really cold and it gets that itch
If it really is a problem with allergies, there are several OTC antihistamine-type eyedrops (different from the "get the red out" products) that are definitely worth trying.  One is Alaway.  You might be surprised at how effective these things can be for itchy, allergic eyes.
Try a teabag moistened herbal tea on your eyes.
I am 25 and I got this same thing going in with me :-( I wish there was something I can do :-( is there anything I can use to wash out my eye with out using my hands? This stringy stuff in my eye makes my eye feel dry when I blink and it kinda burns.
Thank you! Im sitting here getting irritated with this term. This sh*t Im pulling out of my eyes isnt psychological. everytime i pull it i can feel it tickling the back parts of my eyes! Its driving me nuts!. I dont need therapy for this. Its really happening. Im so glad you said something. all these posts about mucus fishing syndrome to me implies were nuts. It mainly happens when Im wearing makeup and it really happens
I also just read about that syndrome. It doesnt say therpay, It says educate them to not touch their eyes. But hows that possible when you cant see? well thanks for the venting!
I don't think they're saying your nuts, they're saying picking at your eye is causing the problem so you're stuck in a vicious cycle.

I suppose if you can't leave it along, just make sure your hands are clean the next time you pick at your eye because putting hands in your eye is a bad idea since your hands are probably full of bacteria.
I have come up with my own "COMBINATION THERAPY"

First go pick up some sterile eye wash. I got mine for 7-8 bucks at my local Walgreens. (of course there are other cheaper brands) The one I have has a small cup to help with the process of cleansing the eye(s). MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THE CUP CLEAN! Ive found this to be extremely helpful when I feel the need to "fish". just cleanse is a couple times use a Q-tip if you have persistent mucous in your eye(s) STOP USING YOUR FINGERS! Who know what else youre rubbing into your eye. Plus that just makes it worse. (I know its hard)

Second get some eye drops, Make sure its one that restores balance. Keep Your eyes hydrated and clean. With this combination ive been able to reduce my time spent "fishing" to about 2-3 times a day (3-5 minutes of fishing) sometimes i was fishing for close to 10 and even 15 minutes. and it seemed like itd never stop. but like i said , this has really helped bring it under control. as for the allergies aspect i can say that it contributes. im allergic to cats and i have one thanks to my partner. and i get flare ups when my cat runs around the house. so yeah. i really hope this helps some of you out, i know what this is like.

SAVE THE HONEY BEES!!!
I think I'm going to cry (but that will just make my eyes feel like they need yet another clean out) I thought that I had this weird habbit and I was totally alone in this. It all started with conjunctivits when I was 7, I cleaned out my eyes then and it just never stopped. Im now 29 and have been using an eye cream since I was 16 for the same fear. There is a little slackness but since aging hasn't really kicked in yet I hope it won't get worse, at least for a while.

There definately is a sence of compulsion in all this, at least for me. A combination of the fact that the feeling irriates me and that I feel grubby if I my eyes feel all goopy and that I'm parranoid people will see it.

These posts have made me feel a sence of hope. Perhaps after a 22 years I can finally stop this.
Firstly, I'd like to thank google for deciphering clear liquid in eyes and converting that too "mucous-fishing-syndrome."

I didn't realise there were this many people with the same condition I had. I tend to fish my eyes out using the tip of my finger nail. I can do it in about 30 seconds now thanks to practice. I've had this problem since I was 7 and now I'm 22. The worst part of having mucous-fishing-syndrome is when the stringy substance goes to the back of your eye. Fishing that out takes 1-2 minutes on its own

For all those people using Q-Tips, doesn't the strings on the Q-Tip get into your eyes?

Oh and my 30 second technique?
1. Close your eye
2. Move your pupil as low as possible
3. Please a small amount of pressure on your eye
4. Slowly move your pupil back up.

Now all the stringy stuff should be near the lower lid. Use your (Q-tip if your clean) or nail which I sadly do to move the junk to the corner of your eye and simply pull it out.

P.S Don't they have a pill for this yet. Geez, =P
Ok, i'm 14 years old female.
Ive had this for over a year now, and it keeps on coming nearly every week, or like 5 times a month.. last for 2 weeks, or less.
I have it right now, it hurts so bad, pain, white stuff stuck onto my eye lids, i have to put my fingers in and peal it off, and it's discusting.
I wake up with hard and slimy stuff around and over my eyes, and can't even open them, just have to pick it off or use a cotton wool with water.
For me it's depressing, I can't hardly look in the mirror without crying because of it, i miss school.. and tomorrow is my last day in year 9.
And i can't go because of this. I have an apointment with the hospital to get rid of it for once and for all! and to never come back, but i haven't got the date yet though.. any way, it's discusting and my eye goes blind sometimes, atm its on the left, most time it's on the right eye, or sometimes both. I haven't gone a month this year without having it.
Been to doctors over atleast 20 times with it this year they give me chlorythromisine tablets or what ever it's called, and drops.
The drops don't even work! it makes my eyes worse, or not working, or the tablets either. It's hard to walk around my house knowing there's family home that's gonna look at me, it's embarrassing. And when I'm at home with this, my friends asks me why am i not in school, or when am i coming, or on the weekends or during the summer holidays, i just CANT GO OUT! I tell my friends I'm sick, because it's sick and so embarrassing I JUST CAN'T LIVE WITH IT! I want it obviosly gone and never come back, but knowing I will have it for ever, and could be every day, every week, every month! I'm so scared! I can't grow up like this! Help:'(!
theese are the things I've tried to do to get rid of it (past and present):-
cotton wool, (rub on eye) with hot and cold water.
dipping my eye in a water tub. (cold and hot)
Optrex spray
Optrex eye wash
like 5 different tablets
allergy free medicine
towel with hot and cold water
sleep with towel (wet)
tea bags
cucumber
creams
ice cubes
towel with ice cubes

AND GUESS WHAT? THEY DON'T WORK :'(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
help please?!?!?!?!?!  
I have suffered with the clear long stringy goo in both my eyes (though the left eye is worse than the right eye) for the past three years.  I have been terrified that because I was continually picking my eyes I would develop an awful infection that could lead to worse things. I definitely believe that the more I put my fingers in my eyes the worse the condition gets. In conjunction with my doctor and optician I think the problem is that the liquid that comes through our tear ducts is too thick, not sure of the cause, so the moisture in our eyes is thicker and bits of dust etc in the air do not get washed away like normal eyes. So what I have found to help ease the problem is as follows: a heat pad from specsavers, they are not cheap but well worth the money. Try and get in the habit of using it morning and night as well as when necessary. This immediately relieves the eyes. Initially the condition might get a bit worse as you are effectively thinning out the moisture coming through the tear ducts in both lids. Then I religiously use Viscotears Liquid Gel every morning and every night, and keep some in my bag for during the day. This mixes with the goo and thins it out, your eyes blur for a few seconds but I have found this is better than water based eye solutions. I just also want to mention that the clear stringy goo condition is not the same as blepharitis as we do not get the mucus on the outside of the eye so I do not know whether my remedies will work for that but I am going to try them out on my dad who does have blepharitis. Good luck and try to resist poking your eyes about, it's hard but worth it x
I totally agree with you!! I am 37 and have dealt with this crap since I was 14 years old!! I hate it!!!
I just came from the eye doctor.  He said if your eyes are DRY, they produce this mucus.  I told him that I've pulled this crap out of my eyes, numerous times each day, for YEARS.  So, even though my eyes don't feel "dry" to me, I guess they ARE, and have been for a long time.  He told me to try to stop "fishing" and try to blink more.  Mucus Fishing Syndrome is real.  Look it up, you'll probably see my picture, lol.
P.S.  I'm 50, and I am pretty sure it is not a psychological compulsion.  If something itches you scratch it,  if you have slime in your eyes you do whatever to get it OUT.  EVERY TIME, no matter how often, period.
im 28 and have this also. gunk from i wake up in the morning till im going 2 bed. had this since i was a kid. ive tried every cream and drop there is and believe me, you are never stopping this. tea bags soothe the eye and stop irritation just. i take a hayfever tablet every morning and its not as bad with. its so annoying but ive got to the point were i will have to live with it.
After reading all of this, I had to post.  I've had the same problem for many years.  I also have extremely dry eye.  I've been through everything imaginable to try to control the problem, to include every kind of drop on the market. I finally talked to my mom, who has been in the medical field for over 50 years, and explained to her the problem.  Come to find out, she had the same problem. She recommended that first, I stop putting things in my eyes (cotton swabs, tissue, FINGER expecially) and she recommended that I go and get the Equate brand from Walmart of the Multi-Purpose Solution.  I clean out my eyes every night before I go to bed and first thing when I get up.  I can tell you that this has reduced the problem DRASTICALLY.  Now, instead of the problem occurring every day, all day long, maybe it might happen once a month.  I had it so bad I would have to pull over my car because I couldn't see due to the mucus accumulation in my eyes, which happened almost every other day.  I use the solution instead of "regular" eyedrops, which can be expensive and didn't work.  The Equate Multi-Purpose Solution is about $3 for a 4 fl oz bottle and so far, has worked the best.  
Lots of luck to the rest of you with this, I know it is bad..
I know there are lots of different reasons you can have itchy swollen eyes but my eyes were very itchy and swollen, really bad, especially the lids of my eyes. I'd often have blurry vision from a thin film I could see over my eyes. They'd get so itchy I'd have to rub them and then they'd puff up even redder and more swollen til I couldn't even see and get all gritty feeling until i could see a stringy white skin like substance in my eyes which I'd have to get out. Once I got it out I'd feel better but it would take 24 to 48 hrs for my swollen eyes to look normal again. I tried all types of drops from  artelac and optanol, antihistimines and antibiotics. The artelac was good and did help but I still had itchy eyes most of the time. I saw my doctor numerous times, I saw an eye specialist and a nose specialist as I thought that might be a factor but they all said they saw no real cause from tests. My doctor said it was dry eye. I had eczema a few years ago and the itching reminded me of that so I tried a little cortisone ointment on my eyelids even though I saw no signs of eczema on them and within a day my eyes were no longer itchy and now it's 2 weeks later and I haven't had a single itch and my eyes are no longer red and swollen. It's amazing. I had problems with my eyes for over 2 years and overnight it's gone. The ointment I put on my eyes is elocon and I used it very sparingly for a few days. I now just ensure my eyelids are lubricated daily with a little vaseline and artelac. No more itching, redness or puffyness. I keep the elocon in a drawer just in case I need it in future. btw I did try a 1% hydrocortisyl ointment before elocon but it didn't help all that much. I hope this helps someone as I know how debilitating it can be.
Ur putting the Vaseline on the outside of ur eyelids? I've been suffering as well and it's making my itch my nose and constantly squishing my eyes shut so hard I'm shaking my brain n my mom Ellis me I'm going to give my self a aneurism (aneurysm) but I can't help it it's so irritating n my mainly doctor is an a** and will not listen to anything I say I'm getting so agrivated about this!
Hi Bridget

Yes I suggest you put a hot slightly damp cloth on your eyes for a few seconds. Do that 2 or 3 times and then put some vaseline gently on your eyelids and rims of eyes. It won't irritate them. If you continue to have problems and you've tried everything but still get itchy eyes that just never seem to get better then try a little cortisone ointment such as elocon like I did. It really helped me. My eyes haven't itched in a month now. You'll only have to use the elocon for a few days. You've got nothing to lose by trying it.
Feel the same way help!!! I seriously watch a movie and can't help but stick my fingers under my eyelids to completely remove the stuff every two min!  Will spend 5 min in the shower just cleaning my eyes out.  have you found a remedy. like u said it is ruining my life
I'm so glad I'm not the only one haha!
I'm 22 and had this since I was in my early teens as far as I remember. However after talking to my mum she said I had badly blocked tear ducts as a baby. Does anyone else know if they did too?
I've read that it could be allergenic conjunctivitis.. Personally I think it's highly possible.. Mine have been so much worse since it's now Spring.
Also wondering if anyone has had RAST (I think that was the name of it) testing done on their blood? Apparently they test for any allergic reactions for a whole range of different categories. It could be something we're commonly around?
Final question; does anyone else have reasonably sensitive skin and scalp? Also tend to get hayfever?
I suffered from gooey, sandy eyes for more than 10 years, following a bacterial infection from a keyboard at work. Seen 4 different doctors who said it was either allergy or dry eyes, without even examining me, an prescribing different medicine that didn't work.
I think I finally found an explanation to what it might be on this site:

http://www.eyehealthweb.com/blepharitis/

These are the symptoms listed, and I have most of them:

Blepharitis Symptoms
There are many symptoms that may signal the presence of blepharitis or eyelid inflammation. Some of these symptoms are more severe than others, and sometimes a person will not experience any of these symptoms at all. The most common symptoms include:

Crusty discharge on the lashes or lids, especially when first awakening
    Redness of the eye or eyelids
    Swelling of eyelids and skin around eyes
    Itching
    Burning
    Excessive tearing
    Dry eyes
    Blurring of vision
    Loss of eyelashes
    Photophobia (sensitivity to bright light)
    Gritty sensation when blinking
    Fluctuating vision due to secondary dryness and an unstable tear film

Treatment for Blepharitis
Depending on which type of blepharitis you have, there are a variety of ways to treat this condition. With any type of blepharitis, the cornerstone of treatment is keeping the eyes clean and free of debris with hot compresses and gentle lid hygiene.

Warm compresses are a mainstay of all treatments for blepharitis. The heat and moisture can soften flakes and debris on the eyelashes, making them easier to clean. The heat also helps to encourage the flow of oil from the meibomian glands. Blepharitis is a chronic condition, and it is helpful to make warm compresses a part of your daily routine, and to apply them more often when symptoms flare.

After a warm compress, gently massage the eyelid margins to prompt the flow of oil from the meibomian glands.

Gently wash the eyelids and eyelashes with baby shampoo diluted with water, or a commercial eyelid cleanser such as those made by Ocusoft. Wrap a washcloth around your index finger or use cotton swabs to clean. Avoid rubbing too hard, and rinse with warm water when finished.
I'm 50 - this started for me after a day in the Sun bout 3 yrs ago - my eyeballs got sunburned - I went to the local gp and he gave me some steroid drops and other crap - I shoulda done my own research before as the med field only cares bout peddlin crap... anyways.. aall I really needed to do was let the sunburn heal - I knew it was the Sun cause 2 days after it healed I was talking to someone and the Sun was low at sunset - after like 2 minutes my eyes started burning and stinging.. BAM !! instant sunburn irritation.. so now - everything is an irritant - BUT the trigger is the SUN !! Wear dark uva uvb glasses and some kind of hat cause the Suns radiation will find anyway possible to touch you eye and irritate it.. Took me a while to figure it out but that's the trigger for me. - More radiation getting thru to the most sensitive part of your body.. make sense ? We are stuck with it cause genetics will take over now and start protecting the future generation...  but sadly we got it man. - be well and protect your eyeballs from radiation. - OH - so basically if you stare at the computer, smoke a doob , wear contacts or go outside... u will have it forever - or just move to Seattle where the Sun never shines..
I am a 16 year old male and I'm experiencing this exact problem as we speak. It doesn't hurt, but it's just so annoying. I wake up, clean my eyes which have a bunch of goo in and then few hours later they reappear and I have to use the bathroom/toilet to do what I have to do.

It makes me so sad and ugly to think that I have this issue with my eyes. Once I wake up at a friend's house or cousin's house, the bathroom is my main priority. Ugh!

I use a Clean & Clear face wash product and use a NIVEA face moisturiser.

I do not wear contacts, neither do I wear glasses.

I need help, or shall I say WE need help!
I have this same problem and so did my mom, dad and now I'm seeing my 22 year old daughter doing it. One day I was talking to my mom on the phone and she asked me what I was doing and while pulling what I call "oodle noodles " out of my eyes I said "digging in my eyes again Mommy " I said to her "I'm sooo tired of doing this " without me asking her about her same problem... she said "I don't do it anymore " and I said "how " and she said "I just stopped and it went away " I know I got it BAD but my mom she would pull and pull until she would say it felt like she was pulling her actual eyelids out.
Which we all know that's wasn't true but that's how it felt to her. After she told me
she just stopped, I tried to "just " stop... but
I couldn't and told me that a couple of years ago... but she stopped like 8 years ago. Also if you smoke tobacco, you'll really pull. I stopped smoking for a while and the pulling stopped on its own and when I started smoking again because I was weak, the pulling started allll over again. One day I'm going to do what my mom did for her addition... as with ANY addition...
"COLD TURKEY " and "JUST STOP " we have to be our own "rehab " since there's not one for this addition. Look at it how you want to but that's what it is. NO doctors can help... we have to do on our own with Gods help.
Be blessed.
Wow!!! i can;t believe so many people are going through this. I myself am going through this. Its been almost 4 years now. And its gotten worse. Idk what it is but i constantly everyday have to pull white goopy stuff out of my eye.from when i go to bed even when i have to wake up in the morning for school. First thing i do everyday when i get it is wash my face a pull all this goopy stuff out of my eye. not even that sometimes i just go straight for my eye cause its so irritating and i can feel everything thats in it. its weird cause in the morning my eyes will be gooped shut and it kinda hurts, im so embarrassed about it and it pisses me off cause everyone will be so quick to tell me to not dig in my eyes but yet doesnt fully understand whats goin on. When i feel it i immanently have to get it out. I mainly use tissue but i have stopped because its like when i use tissue, more tissue gets stuck in my eyes as well. SO I MAINLY USE BROWN PAPER TOWELS. THE ONES IN PUBLIC RESTROOMS. Idk why but for me it helps me get a good grip and pull it out. Not only is this annoying but it also feels so good once i pull it out of my eye. I also have been to the doctor almost three times and he always gives me the same eye drops.all the drops do is make the goop more visible but what i need is for it to be gone completely. this really has a big effect on my life. I will sometimes be in the mirror for almost an hour trying to get everything out. even when i have to get ready for school im always late and even between classes i will be in the girls restroom for 20min just digging everything out.i cant wear make up on my eyes because i have to constantly dig in my eyes. but for some odd reason when im out havin fun or doing something that doesnt remind of digging in my eyes. i wont do it. but most of the time i have to dig in my eyes no matter what. This really ***** to go through but im just happy to know that im not the only person going through this, if anybody knows anything or anyone that can help me or let me know something ASAP!!! please & thank you soo much!!!
Back I'm 2002 when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, I made an appointmemt to an eye doctor about this gunk and for perscribed glasses. When I told the eye doctorabout the long stringy eye gunk peeling off my eyeballs, he said that it was the eyes way of shedding it's "skin". But continually on a daily basis? Come on! Seriously? What is this nasty crap that blurs my vision worse than my vision already is? It feels gross peeling off my eyeballs, but after it's off my eyeballs, it's nice to see again. I've had this problem since I was a kid, and I'm now 35 yeats old. Someone has to have a real logical and believable answer for this instead of eye shedding skin.
Nope, it's not skin shedding.  It's a kind of overproduction of mucus in response to irritation.  Unfortunately, in some people, it's self-perpetuating:  The more often they stick something in their eyes (Q-tips, fingers, Kleenex, whatever) to clean things out, the more irritated the eye becomes, and the more goo it produces in an effort to protect itself
You hit the nail on the head.  Your description of your situation is identical to mine.  I am sure there are "eye fishers" just as there are people who get off popping pimples… but that is not me.  As the day progresses, my eyes build up mucous.  Around 4pm I rinse my eyes with a sterile solution and close and massage my eyelids.  When I open my eyes, very large globs of mucous is situated at the base of my eyelids.  I wipe the mucous off with a clean towel.  And I can see again!  I have to repeat this process every 2 hours until bedtime.  After a lot of research, I feel my tears are too thick (not enough water) and so they accumulate behind my lids.  When too much accumulates, my vision becomes blurry because every time I blink .. this film coats my eye .. that is when I rinse .. I delay rinsing as long as I can.. but when my vision gets to where I am straining to see I have to rinse ..On the bright side.. this mucous does protect our eyes from scratches and such .. too bad it is so annoying ..
I have glasses and wore contacts (which I never wear because I can't get used to them) to a wedding. I came home and forgot to take the contacts out and showered. I took them out in the shower and the one suctioned to my eye and I had a hard time getting it out. After that, it felt like I had sand in my eye. I put drops in it and went to bed and woke up and felt okay. Then a few days later, it started feeling like I had something in my eye. I can feel the specific spot that I feel like there is a lash or something. Then the other day I started flushing it out and I pulled out what looked like filament, kind of like cotton fiber fill that goes into a pillow. It was stretchy and reminded me of a spider web. It has gotten a lot worse and I finally made an appointment to go to the eye doctor. For all you that have had this for years, I don't know how you deal with it! It is like constantly having something in your eye. Now my eyes are always sore and my eyelids are raw from rubbing because that is the only time I feel okay.

A lot of you said you can't stop digging in your eyes and it feels good. The only thing that feels good to me if when some of that mucus comes to the corner or my membrane and I can wipe it out. I think some of us suffer from the "mucus fishing syndrome" and some don't. I don't have any compulsion to touch my eye unless I feel like there is something in it. I am obsessed with trying to get out whatever it feels like it is that's in there.

Now I am dreading going to the eye doctor because I am afraid whatever he does for me, isn't going to help.
Okay so I had my appointment today and the doctor removed 2 "filaments" from my eye. I asked him what that meant and he said could be a piece of contact lens but that was all. He didn't know exactly what they were. Anyway, he gave me the typical prescription drops you all seem to have gotten at one time or another. So in my case, the irritant was causing the webby white crap in my eyes. I hope the relief I feel right now stays but I was talking to my dad and he said that when he wakes up, sometimes his eyes are swollen shut but usually it is when he is suffering from allergies. Maybe those of you who have gone to eye doctor and haven't had anything in your eyes have allergies. I am sure you have thought of that before, but maybe go to the allergist. I was thinking about it too and I know one of my friends was allergic to dust mites and she would wake up with her eyes swollen and crusted shut. Just a thought.
I've struggled with the same disease my whole life.. Sometimes it gets so irritated and so much mucus/boogers that it becomes insupportable and painful at times. I can relate with every comment posted on here. Aside from the sun, smoking, starting at computer screens, I've also found that beer/alcoholic beverages can also trigger the irritation or as some people call it "mucus fishing syndrome". I'm looking for a an Eye Specialist and will post any progress on here.
"Eye boogers" as I called it when I was a child... yes, I have had this as long as I can remember. First let me say that I have been a registered nurse for 15 years and I worked for an allergy specialist for 2 yrs. For those who keep referring to Mucus Fishing Syndrome, that's not the same as this, although this can be the initial cause of a person developing the syndrome. MFS is when a person continuously picks at the corners of the eye to hopefully get some stringy mucus. With the problem being discussed here, we do not have to constantly pick as those with MFS do; it just happens. We get the goo build up no matter what. You can wipe it out or wash it out, but regardless, it happens several times a day. If it stays in the corner of the eye, it gets hard ("eye coal"). For those of you looking for answers, it is because we have eyes with overactive mucus production - our eyes are fighting our allergens. While most people's eyes simply produce tears to keep the eye moist and flush away dust particles, etc., our eyes will not only produce tears but also produce the mucus to trap the particle. It forms the string because we blink, which rolls the mucus like dough, until it's in a string. Most likely in the mornings you will wipe the corners of your eyes to find it's not as stringy. That's why. It's almost like our eye is trying to attack the invader (dust, etc). The only thing that will help is prescription eye drops for allergies, but even then, that only helps with the itching and excessive "eye boogers". You'll still have them as long as you are exposed to the environment you are in which is triggering it. And most of all, don't worry about it, you're not weird.
they are caused from allergies and contacts, allergies can cause the eye to flush out the allergens and contact lenses can irritate the eye so your eye moistens and causes the "strings"
I think I figured it out, loose eyelids, when u sleep ur eyes are being pulled open and drying out, and in some cases if u sleep face down your eyeballs are actually touching your sheets, the answer to your problem is medical grade tape, (to tape eyes shut) and stop touching your eyes, good luck and I hope this helps
These stringy, elastic globs are the worst. I have had many terrible things happen to my eyes from pure stupidity. Flash burn from extended welding with the wrong UV shade...That's good for a 16 hour hell of sleepless, unrelenting agony. I've had countless chips and shards of grit and metal lodged in my cornea which had to be gouged out with a razor scoop by a skilled optometrist...These are especially painful and maddening for about three days. The worst by far are these irritating accumulating sheets, strings, and globs of mystery that form for a month every year when the various plants and crops around here start releasing pollen. It does not help to have pets that persistently nap on my bedding after they have tracked everything from the outside environment right to where I sleep. Contaminant blocking strategies aside, I have done everything from ignoring the pesky globs, to full on assault for half an hour to remove every last irritating piece and my eye is thoroughly ablaze. At one time I was convinced that I was causing irreversible harm as if these globs might actually be eye tissue that was being removed like layers of an onion, or perhaps like a sweater being undarned every time I fished one of these things out, just to produce more globs within minutes. I have no idea what these are, but I know for sure a doctor is the last person to ask about anything that personally afflicts you that isn't life threatening...or if it does not fit the criteria for tests, or a lifelong prescription to a symptom oriented product. Nobody perpetuates the hype of being a doctor like a doctor. Life savers?...maybe some, like a dozen. Not so much when you seek them out to solve a problem for which they may lack training or experience. They are ultimately Technicians who are highly educated and highly payed. That does not assure they are any good at what they do. Many of them act like a decade of school and two years of sleep deprivated training is worthy of life-saver status and title.  
I live in Seattle - Have been here for years with my Mucus Fishing Syndrome.  No cure to live here.  Where do you live?
wow and like everyone else i thought i was the only on..

ok so i see everyones stroy is very similar however from what I am reading.. alot of people suffer from this continuously through out the year..

HAYFEVER

I on the other hand suffer from this seasonally.. betwen the months of june and july, I am suffer from Hayfever during these months, my eyes like everyone else tend to swell up become small and red and itchy! after i give up and decide to itch it.. it feels good yes but after itching i suffer for a few hours because my eye(s) become small! and burn and hurt.. I too have this so called slime discharge from the eyes.. and i tend to stick my finger in a remove it.. but after irritating my eye things just get worse..

What can we tell so far:....
everyone who irritates their eye ends up with a worse situation.. i guess the solution would be to stop yourself from using fingers and ears budds and tissues etc and to use eye drops that clean the eye instead.. i normally use a thick tissue of good quality because they tend to have less flakey/dust coming out of it, i usually make my tissue damp and put it over my eye if it irritates me and hey it works for me..

I have used many eyes drops etc just like many of you! and TODAY i have found one that does work wonders.. FOR HAYFEVER/ALLERGY ... they're called OPTRICOM EYE DROPS i didnt think i could feel peace with my eyes during these months until now! however.. i have only used them once so far and they feel great.. i will be using them for few more days and hopefully report back...

http://www.opticrom.co.uk/quiz-understand-your-allergy

http://www.opticrom.co.uk/science-behind-opticrom

http://www.opticrom.co.uk/pollen-count

these are some helpful links if you wana check it out and help your understanding.

OTHERS

in regards to you others who suffer continuously best advice would be to keep your eye and surrounding area clean.. use cleansing eye drops and also the hot/warm water with 1 teaspoon salt mixed and disolved and dunk your head and clean ur eye out technique..

iv grown up wishing i could never suffer from this feeling sorry myself.. until i came across this website and having seen people suffer alot worse and through out the year! unlike me.. and all i have to say is im greatful.. and just know that whatever you suffer from someone out there has it worse so be patient and accept whatever it is thats going on with you.. and if you have temporary solutions and it works for you then just keep doing them i guess because atleast it wont affect you and gives you relief for whatever amount of time.

HONEY:

for those who suffer from hayfever.. search via internet etc for any place/farm/shop etc that sell local honey.. you want the honey to be raw and straight from the hive with the pollen included etc.. you need to be having this through out the year everyday.. your body will build up an immunity to this and hopefully slow your hayfever down and in the long term or short term get rid of this.. this is the natural way of doing it.. there is procedures which can be carried out via injections etc via your hospital or gp or sumin like tht where they basically do the same thing and expose you to pollen or watever causes you allergy over a long period of time.. so either way you can choose:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hay-fever/Pages/Treatment.aspx

the treatment is stated in the above link

NETTLE TEA:

nettle tea is also very good for hayfever so it has been said by alot of people i have yet to try this out..have 3 times a day and it "should" slow your hayfever symptoms down alot! can use tea bags to calm eyes down aswel!

Other helpful tips for hayfever sufferers:

wear shades.. showers help! clean non-flakey tissues, STOP yourself from itching your eyes i know its a challenge hell i need to stop myself.. umm stay indoors.. nose spray and OPTRICOM EYE DROPS you love em!
See an Opthomologist.  Request that he/she see if you have ocular rosacea.

Check out this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2358570/Sore-bloodshot-eyes-A-hidden-skin-problem-blame.html

Hopes this helps anyone who also suffers from this horrible eye disease.
I've had this since I was 15 (I'm 38 now) and a girl in my class would always ask to borrow my compact w/mirror and I'd watch her dig these things out of her eyes.  Months later, I had the same condition.  Several months after that, my little brother had it, too.  Perhaps it's a coincidence, but I think it could be contagious, whatever it is.
I have had extremely dry eyes since having Lazor surgery 6 years ago, the pain,itch,redness and hugh clumps of eye mucus,  is never ending and having tried many eye drops which only give 10 to 15 mins. relief, I discovered Organic Castor Oil,I put 3 drops in my eyes and get 3 to 4 hours comfort and it seems to gather the mucus at the bottom or side to the eye, I could not live without.
Oh i didnt realise it was mucus.  I've had really bad ezcema (eczema) on my face and horrible dry eye lids so was using a lot of moisurizer.  I thought the stringy stuff was moisturizer and some days i'll pull out loads of it.  The ezcema (eczema) has been much better lately and I haven't 'fished' for months.  But the mucus has been back the last few days.  

Its total BS to say this is called fishing syndrome.  If there wasnt anything irrating the eye nobody would stick their fingers in there !!  When my ezcema (eczema) was really bad people used to say i should see a hypnotherapist to stop scratching all the time.  That was BS aswell.  I needed to eat properly and the itching would disappear with the ezcema (eczema).  This is the same.  Stop the mucus and the 'fishing' will stop.  Bloody doctors are a waste a space. Anyway thats another story.

So how to stop the mucus, that's the problem.

This actually works...I am 45 years old and have had this problem since I was a teenager.  I tried this treatment twice in one evening and the mucus dried up. It does however need to be done daily, at least for me.  This has been a lifesaver for me!  I was a little nervous at first thinking it would sting but it does not.  My eyes dyed up and feel so much better!
It sounds like you have GPC (Giant papillary conjunctivitis ) Google it.
I am 31 and just recently started having this problem... I am happy I found this forum. Someone needs to find a cure. We do not have mucous strings in our eyes for no reason.
Whatever this problem is, I can pretty much confirm that it's gota be hereditary. The only other people I know with this problem is my family. My mom, her dad, and all her cousins (and me). So I know it runs in at least 3 generations in my family. :\
I am shocked to find this thread. I had no idea so many have the same condition and have had no luck in curing it. I am in my early 40s and I have had this since I was 15. Many eye doctors have prescribed many things and none have ever worked. I never heard of Mucous Fishing Syndrome, but I will study it now.

My issue right now is that I had a new problem yesterday. I wear glasses and I very rarely wear contacts (maybe a few times per year). I wore them yesterday to go to a water park. After several hours my eyes felt so dry I was very uncomfortable. Eventually the build up of stringy stuff needed to be removed. I pulled some out from the corner of my eye and it was all bloody! I took the contacts out right away, but the blood in the stringy discharge continued for a short time longer. My eyes were red, but no more red than they usually get. There were no signs of trauma. There was no subconjunctival hemorrhage.

The blood really concerned me. Today my eyes are normal, but the whole episode was not.
To anyone posting that this is Allergy Conjunctivitis = PINK EYE. These are not the same symptoms for everyone here. Pink Eye Symptoms:

•Redness in the white of the eye or inner eyelid
•Increased amount of tears
•Itchy eyes
•Blurred vision
•Swelling of the eyelid
Constant eye mucous can be due to a tear film imbalance that is usually referred to as dry eye syndrome. There are several possible treatments for this condition, but it is best to start with ocular lubricants or artificial tears such as GenTeal Lubricant Gel Liquid Eye Drops. A complete eye examinaition is recommended to determine the cause.

https://www.healthtap.com/topics/eye-mucus-fishing-syndrome

Drinking more water can help in overproduction of mucus. Other solutions include:

- Antibiotics to reduce eyelid inflammation.

- Prescription eyedrops to control cornea inflammation.

- Prescription eye inserts that work like artificial tears.

- Closing your tear ducts to reduce tear loss.

- Covering your eyes with a special contact lens.

- Unblocking blocked oil glands. A new treatment called LipiFlo thermal pulsation helps clear blocked oil glands.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dry-eyes/basics/treatment/con-20024129