Clear,Long,Stringy Goo in Eye Constantly
Hi, I am 31 and as long as I can remember I have had problems with my eyes. Througout the day I have to wash out eyes, out my fingers in eye to remove the stuff- I know this can't be good but it happens so often I have to. It is clear, and runs in the bottom of eye, on eye, top of inside eye, long stringy goo. I can lightly wet a cutip- put in inside corner of eye and spin. The stuff goes from top to bottom. It is such an irritant. What could this be- I went to dr before and they said it was allergies. All the time I dont think so. I have really long eyelashes could that have something to do with it. I cant even wear makeup because it makes much more stuff in eye. Please any advice will help.
i have this problem 8 years until now ..
i have keratoconus, so i have to wear hard contact lenses.. which make the condition worse !
every time i tell my doc he give me antihistamine drops.. simply they dont do anything..
i was smoking .. and now 3 months after quitting mucus still there ...
i do "fish".. if i dont the mucus will cover the lenses and .....
sometimes i give up and keep rubbing my eyes.. and then they Inflamed..
and no, i dont pray to god anymore.. just hope someone find a cure
I just read this article, it seems to be mostly a bad habit we picked up after dealing with a medical condition but the bad habit of touching our eyes has prolonged the annoyance.

http://www.drmalcolmmckellar.co.nz/eye-conditions/mucus-fishing-syndrome/
The above comment is right on.

JCH MD
I've had this problem for many years.  I want to thank all who have commented.  I'm going to try the suggestions.   My eye doctors will not do anything, they say it's just age (I'm 52), but I've had this since I was about 13 years old.   It seems to come and go, but has gotten much worse in the last few years.  I can't even wear mascara anymore.

Try saline drops it might help
=
Keep out of the sun, bright light, and dusty places. Anything that irritates your eyes. I only get symptoms when i get involved with any of the three.
For relief when it happens-ignore it. As crazy as it may sound to ignore something moving in your eye, it is the quickest way for it to disappear again. DO NOT POKE OR RUB OR TOUCH YOUR EYES WITH ANYTHING!
Digging at the eye with the finger sets up a self perpetuating circle of "irritation-run eye-eye produces mucous-more touching "fishing" of the mucous' which just makes more mucous.  

When you've dug yourself into a hole the first thing you do is put down the shovel (fingers).

JCH MD
I HAD A BAD EYE INFECTION A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. I THINK IT WAS CALLED KERA CONJUNCTIVITIS. ITS WHERE YOU GET KIND OF SCRATCHES ON THE FRONT OF YOUR EYE AND IT WAS EXTREMELY PAINFUL.
I HAVE HAD MUCAS FISHING SYNDROME EVER SINCE. ITS SOOOOO ANNOYING COZ YOU WANT TO STOP PUTTING YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR EYES BUT YOU JUST CANT STOP COZ ITS SO SATISFYING TO GET THE STRINGY BITS OUT.
I THINK ITS A GONNA CASE OF JUST BEING VERY STRONG AND STOP DOING IT. A BIT LIKE GIVING UP SMOKING!!
=
It's makeup. Mine do this when I wear makeup band it's bad. It'll do it for days afterwards. I go most of the time without it and my eyes are fine until they get tired and dry like they usually do. But the gunky puss stuff in my eye happens when I wear make up. Maybe we are allergic somehow to it ?
=
These long strings of mucous in the eye can also be caused by excessive dryness of the eye from Sjogren's Syndrome.  I have had Sjogren's for over 20 years now and this is a constant problem, not only the mucous but the constant feeling of sand or grittiness in the eyes. This can be very painful, irritating, I know it sounds weird for dry eyes, but it may cause your eyes to water excessively as well. If you have any type of autoimmune disease or are a diabetic, this may be something that you want to get tested for. This condition can be treated well with medication and natural tears eye drops.
eokes99    Hopefully you have discussed restasis with your ophthalmologist. It has made a world of difference for my patients with SS. And as I have posted her many times both my wife and I are on restasis for moderate to severe dry eyes with excellent results.

JCH MD
I have had this problem as well for about the past 3 years (27 yrs old).  I thought that it was just something that happens from getting older, or my genetic predisposition to my dad's oily skin, but as it got progressively worse I realized something was wrong.  At the same time I had other health problems like skin issues (my skin had never had problems even when I was a teenager), sinus infections, ear infections, gastrointestinal issues, and more.  I learned a long time ago that the only thing you can be sure to get from a doctor's office is prescription medication that ends up hindering your health more than helping.  Western medicine is great with emergencies, and I am thankful for that, but when it comes to chronic conditions, well, not so much.  After years of researching my health issues I believe that they are all rooted in yeast overgrowth.  Concerning the eye strings- I have found that they are worse when I wear makeup and rarely do so anymore, but when I do I now use all organic makeup which helped.  To get the strings out:
1. After I wash my face morning and night I use Braggs Apple Cider Organic Vinegar diluted with water as a toner on my face
2. Next, I use grape fruit seed extract diluted (you can buy it from any vitaman store- it is antifungal, antibacterial, antimicrobial basically) and wipe my face and especially my eyelids with it on a cotton pad.
3. Lastly, but most importantly I take a qtip and put organic tea tree oil on it which is also antifungal and antibacterial and soothing.  I then use the qtip to gently sweep my eye and collect the strings.  During the day whenever I have the floater strings that blind me I simply wash my hands and repeat the above method with the qtip.  The best thing is that the strings cling to the tea tree oil and easily come out while also dissolving smaller strings and soothing your eyes.  Be warned, it may burn (but in a good way-like mint body was tingles your skin).  
The above posting by lilly 1307 is not good advice. Anyone that takes time to read all these posts or that has researched "mucous fishing syndrome" will note that the individuals set up some sort of self-perpetuating routine that involves daily repetitive digging, flushing, rubbing the eye. If the method above was so good and her problem was a yeast infection one would suspect a cure after several weeks of this. Most individuals can be helped greatly by working with an Eye MD ophthalmologist, a cornea specialist if necessary. First ruling out all the major causes. the most common underlying problem is dry eyes and in many of these individuals long term Restasis works better than anything else.  
Everyone listen! You have to STOP touching your eyes!! Yes, i know this is hard, but you must! I have the same thing as you and it's getting better, at first it's really hard, but it'll get easier. If it gets too much then excuse yourself to the bathroom and wash your face. As well as not touching your eyes use whatever "remedies" you have whether it's eye drops or hot tea bags. It'll start getting better and soon disappear!
Thanks  Yes touching your eye is like the cat chasing its tail. It perpetuates the problem and makes it worse and the more you touch the more "mucus" you produce.
This is not an emotional compulsion.  Fishing the mucus out is a necessity because it feels like there is always something in there because there is - the mucus building up.
I am so sick of people telling me there's nothing in your eyes as I pull a stringy thing out of my eye right in front of them. And I am sick of people and doctors telling me it's part of anxiety or all in my head or mucus fishing syndrome!
Its not make up - I stopped wearing makeup long ago and still have this horrible problem.
educate yourself with papers on mucous fishing syndrome:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11712630

http://www.reviewofoptometry.com/content/c/25906/

Im only 15 years old now, im having the same problem like this since i was 13. White long thin (sort of rheum) or eye mucus whatever they call it is coming out to my eyes. Specifically at the bottom part, it is itchy. Very very itchy and sometimes when it is so itchy i ccant help it but to rub and rub it then it became reddish and soon it hurts. Im having this imagination that is it possible that it has worms? Ohmy. Im so nervous about it. Ive had a lot of research, luckily it only says it could be allergies or maybe because of stress something like that. But, i know i have to be sure what it is. Please help me. I have a classmate who had the same case as mine one day she came to school with wounds around her eyes i asked her what happened to it she said, i rubbed and rubbed her eyes causing it to irritate. Now, it just brought me more nervous. What should i do?
Tell your parents about the problem if they don't already know. Then get in to see an Eye MD ophthalmologist for exam and treatment. At your age the problem is usually allergy and there are drops and treatments that should be able to help you.
I have the EXACT same problem.  I was told it could possibly Recurrent Cornea Erosion, but I dont think so.  For those of you using tissues, or paper towels to get the goop out, I recommend, what I do.  Get a high quality Qtip.  Saturate it with some form of natural tears.  I dlime Thera Tears. Carefully run along the bottom and top inside lid.  Make sure its good and wet with the natural tears and do it gently so you don't pull on the cornea.  afterwards, put in a drop or 2 of natural tears [I use the single use (no preservatives)].  Wont cure the problem, but is atbleast a better waybto get rhat gunk out anyways.
=
I too have this problem...dry eye, Dr says no cure.  As far as not getting those strings out, they actually skew your vision until they are removed with a q tip
Tried EVERYTHING, eyes always itching....
Go to Dr. Hagan's home page. Scroll throught the "Journal Postings" and read the articles on dry eyes. Much can be done to help.
Allergic conjuctivitis (see chart by going to link posted below)

Find out what you are allergic to! (And stop putting q-tips, etc, in your eyes!)

http://www.familyhealthonline.ca/fho/familymedicine/FM_redEyes_FHd12.asp
=
Really really irritating now.... dry, sore, scratchy ,weeping, Lucas filled eye's I feel disgusting .. can't sit for 5 mins in front of people in fear I have something disgusting in my eye... has it for bout 5 year's now . Taking over my life.
Your profile does not say where you live. See an ophthalmologist that specialists in disease of the cornea.  "Mucous Fishing Syndrome" can be helped. You may need to go on an advanced medication such as Restasis.

JCH MD
I have this exact problem, I also thought it had something to do with my eyelashes because they are super long. My dad has this problem too but he gets it because he has hay fever and the doctor told him that was the reason he gets it so I kind of self diagnosed myself due to him. So if you suffer with hay fever that could possibly be the reason xox
=
I recently went to an eye doctor with complaints about chronic dry eye and stringy stuff coming out of my eyes all the time. Unexpectedly the doctor asked me if my mouth was dry also. I told him yes as it has been dry for several months. He then sent me for blood work to test me for Sjogren's syndrome an autoimmune disease that destroys all of your moisture in your eyes and your mouth initially. Because it affects your saliva glands for your mouth and for your eyes. I suggest anyone that has chronic dry eye check out Sjogren's syndrome online and learn more about it. I have been waiting for the test results for 5 days now and I was told it would take up to 6 days for the blood work to come back to see if I have this disease. I really hope I do not have it because it can cause many other complications within one's body because all organs require moisture to function correctly. Very scary wait.
Hope you don't have it either.  It's possible to have dry eye and dry mouth without having Sj Synd.  The definitive treatment for moderate or severe dry eyes is Restasis or the newly released Xiidra.   Oral omega 3 (fish, kreel or flax seed oil) is also good therapy. Newest artificial tear is Retaine the first 4th generation artificial tear available without prescription at Walgreens and CVS.
Yes the eye doctor did give me a prescription for Restasis. I have had terrible rheumatoid arthritis like symptoms in both of my feet for many years. I have also been throwing up and having terrible digestive disorders for nearly three years straight now having to go to many emergency room visits to get hydrated. More recently I have been unable to void my bladder fully also. Sure does seem like I have quite a few of the same symptoms that Sjogren's syndrome presents. I am now using Biotene toothpaste and Biotene mouthwash for my dry mouth. I also purchased sugar free lozenges to eat during the day for what  they may offer my dry mouth. I just basically feel sick I do not feel well at all. I should be getting the results of the blood work today. Yikes!
You have a variety of problems that need the services of many type of specialists. My wife and I are both on Restasis. Know that it often stings and burns when you start generally gets better after 2-3 weeks. Sometimes steroid drops are prescribed for the first week or two.   Both my wife and I were miserable with dry eyes. We noticed an improvement after 3-4 months and at 6-7 months were totally asymptomatic. She has been on restasis 7 years and me about 2. We never use artificial tears anymore where before we were using 4-6 times/day with limited relief.  You have to be very patient but its well worth the wait. I have many happy patients on restasis.
Do you know what Sjogren's syndrome is. The first two signs or symptoms of this disease is chronic dry eyes and dry mouth. You might want to possibly maybe get tested for Sjogren's syndrome. It is a autoimmune disease that attacks all of your salivary glands and could also involve other parts of your body including skin dry skin that is and problems with internal organs as well.
Do you also have dry mouth by any chance? I recently went to an eye doctor after years of pulling that stringy stuff out of my eyes and he sent me for blood work to test to see if I have the autoimmune disease called Sjogren's syndrome. The first two main symptoms are dry eyes and dry mouth because the disease prevents or attacks your salivary glands so you do not make enough saliva for your mouth and Tears For Your Eyes. It can also affect other organs in your body. I have been waiting for that blood work for 6 days and yesterday I was told to call the eye doctors office to get the results at 2 o'clock. Damn today *****.
Please read about Sjorgren's Syndrome on a source like WebMD or the SS Foundation see this link  http://www.sjogrens.org/     Let us know how your tests turn out.  Also read about "Mucous Fishing Syndrome"  when you start digging in your eye you set up a self-perpetuating problem that is like the dog chasing his tail. The more you put your finger in your eye the more mucous your eye makes the more you dig, the more..............you get the idea.  Restasis or Xiidra would be a good choice for most people like yourself.
Great news for me. I called the eye doctor's office yesterday at 2 p.m. and got my results from my blood work that was being tested for Sjogren's Syndrome. Turns out I do not have Sjogren's Syndrome. I am very relieved with that news. Still have certain health problems that I do not know the origin of yet but I will continue to search for a few answers and search for some relief for my pains. I have been using Restasis for about a little over a week and it seems to be helping and does not burn my eyes upon application at all. Try to have a great weekend everybody. Take care Doctor.☺
If your eye feels better at one week (not to be expected) think how good it will feel in 4-6 months. Stay on it. Good things will happen to your dry eyes.  Now work with your physicians on your other health problems.
I will do just that Dr. Thank You.
=
Best of luck and wishes for comfortable eyes.
I have been using prescription Restasis for about maybe 2 months now and my eyes have been feeling fine. But last night I must have sat there picking at both eyes for about 3 hours. It felt like there was a cactus in each eye. Does anybody know exactly what that stringy gooey stuff actually is? And where does it come from? Brain matter? LOL
It takes 6 months for restasis to fully kick in so keep on with your meds. Both my wife and me are on restasis with excellent results. The stringing stuff is dehydrated mucous and it comes from mucous glands located in the conjunctiva. It gets its characteristic string shape from being rolled during blinking.
Thank you very much.
if you want really get rid off this decease purely avoid touching contact your eyelid, eye lashes and inside the eye with finger or any other object for 6 months and feel the difference after  6 months. This is only cure for this type of allergy. I am not prescribing any unwanted medicines to my patients
=
People so easily say do not put your fingers in your eye! When you have all this gooey stuff in your eye, I myself am sometimes totally unable to see because the gooey stuff makes my vision very blurry and until I put my finger in there and get it out of my eye my vision suffers and it stings and it is actually quite painful. I have been touching my eyes due to this dry eye disease for many years and not once have I gotten an infection in my eyes from putting my finger in my eyes using my fingernail to dig out the stuff. It HAS to come out!
You are like the dog chasing its tail. stay on restasis and remove the mucous with warm water.
How am I supposed to get rid of it with warm water?
On several occasions I have put hot tea bags on my closed eyelids. Is that kind of what you mean doctor?
If it works sure. You can also use reusable eye pads that are inexpensive and you can get at drug store. Heat in microwave.  You can also get a saline eye irrigation that you squirt on the eye  to dislodge mucous. Any drugstore will have them. Over the counter. This is link to the products.  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=eye%20saline%20wash
I disagree about any comments regarding chronic fishing syndrome because most mornings I wake up with it in my eye and I have been sleeping so I did not initially irritate my eyes with my finger at all.
Read This Immediately!!!!! Hello, my name is Robert S. White, I am 48 years old and I am writing this message to anyone with stringy mucous eyes issues. I fought this battle for a little over 4 years and just thought that this was going to be a part of my life forever. I had gone to so many doctors and all of them kept feeding a line of CRAP, because they had no idea. They just kept saying things like If you keep your fingers out of your eyes it will go away (Eye Fishing Syndrome)…………………..********! I wouldn’t have put my fingers in my eyes if there was nothing there! I know you want the answer like right now, but I want to explain what happened, I swear I have nothing to sell or push by the way, this is only information and hopefully something that will help if you suffer from this horrible affliction. So, about 3 months ago, I decided to go to Shands Hospital in Gainesville, FL., I explained everything to the doctor and he was the only one that told me that I was having an allergic reaction and that I was probably going to have to figure this out myself because the cost of being tested for everything on the planet was just not feasible. So, 3 weeks ago (Today is the 17th of April, 2017)I went on vacation to Universal Studios with my brother and I noticed the day after I arrived that my eyesight improved slightly and wasn’t as irritated as normal, I didn’t think too much about it until the next day when they were even better. After the 4th day, my eyesight was great and I was elated as much the stringy eye goo had dissipated. So, I finished the vacation and got back home and within 2 hours of getting home my eyes were on the fritz, so, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what was different and the only thing that I could come up with was that I remembered that I had forgotten my cologne when I went to Orlando. As an experiment I did not use my cologne (Curve), the next day. What do you know, my eyes got better, after 3 or 4 days my stringy eye goo had slowed tremendously. After a couple of weeks I had expected it to go away completely but I still had some going on, so, I decided to do a little more digging (Pun intended) and started to do research on the ingredients in the Curve cologne, it turns out that there are lots of chemicals in the cologne, one in particular, Propylene Glycol (PPG), seemed to be affecting many other people as well, I got to looking at my other products in my cabinet that I use and what do you know, my hair gel (L.A. Looks), my underarm deodorant (Degree), and many other products that I use have this chemical in it. I have since stopped using any products that have PPG in it which unfortunately makes my life more complicated because these products that do not have PPG’s is more expensive. So, to put all of this in a nutshell, I do not know if this is your problem, but like me it may turn out that you are having an allergic reaction to some product that you are using and it just may be the PPG additive in these products. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I truly hope this will help someone else and may solve your eye mystery. P.S. When I stopped using products with the PPG I also had some other added benefits that I didn’t even know were going to happen, I had a strange rash on my chest that went away (Right where I was spraying the cologne), my joints feel so much better (I was told because I had inflammation from my body trying to fight PPG in my body), I also had excruciating pain in my feet (Also because of the inflammation), if I have helped a single person it will make me feel so happy, Have a nice day.    
OK I will keep trying anything and everything. Have a nice Day Dr.
=
I had this exact same problem with my eyes. I'm 26 years old and it started around 4 months ago. It got to the point where I would have to wear sunglasses all the time because my eyes would become very swollen from all the touching as I would have to try an extract the long gooey string. Some nights it would get stuck in my eyelid and I would try to use warm water to clean my eye out.

I went to 3 different doctors who prescribed an eye solution, chloramphenicol (antibiotic eye drops) and actual antibiotics as they thought it was an infection. None of the above worked.

The 4th  doctor I went to claimed it was an allergy and recommended Antihistamine eyedrops (Mylan Allercom) along with antihistamime tablets. After 2 days the problem became much better and after 2 weeks it completely disappeared after suffering for a long 3 months. I have mild dust allergies, hayfever and ashtma. If you also suffer from any of those I would highly recommend taking antihistamime eye drops.
By and large this discussion thread is about "mucous fishing syndrome" it is not a new problem see this still accurate 1985 report:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4058886

antihistamines only dry the eye (and mouth) and make worse.  For severe cases a trial of Restasis or the new faster action Xidra may be helpful.
I was just prescribed the xiidra the other day. I have had dry eyes for so many years. I have punctal plugs in the upper tear ducts and recently had the bottom ones cauterized. I feel like I have more mucus now after this procedure then ever. Will using this xiidra eventually stop the eye mucus from forming in my eyes. It really burns and my eyes are very blurry for a period of time after using. Almost unbearable. However if using this will assist in stopping this mucus I am willing to give it a shot. I'm very desperate. This condition has affected my quality of life in so many ways and I don't know where else to turn. Restasis did nothing to help. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!!
There was a scientific article published within the last month that said some people on Xiidra reported some improvement in 2-3 weeks and of course maximum improvement is 3-4 months. Also there is some reports that for ultra severe that restasis and Xiidra can be used together.  You can ask your Eye MD about putting you on steroid eye drops for 2-3 weeks to help stop the stinging and burning which usually gets better over several weeks.
Thank you for the info!! I will give it a shot. Not too many good reviews on xiidra yet, mostly bad. Doesn't give much hope but worth a shot.... thanks!!
Can you also tell me if it's safe to put salt water or castor oil in your eyes? Been reading many comments by people saying they have done this and it's helped. Been living with this dabilitating condition for years and will try this if it's safe to do.
I could not recommend salt water or castor oil in the eye.  You could use sterile saline eye wash from a drug store and a thick lubricant like celluvisc  You can also try omega 3 by mouth (fish oil or kreel oil) it has been shown to help dry eyes, dry mouth, dry skin. That takes about 30-15 days to start to help
=
I had a LONG explanation typed up, and it deleted!!!! ARGH!!! Too mad to retype. Look up DEMODEX. They're human mites. Sorry!!! They live in the eyelashes and eyebrows. From what I've read, 95% of the population over the age of 5 have them. They can cause blockage in your tear ducts. There are a ton of suggestions to treat them.
Number 2 - MYCOTOXINS -Basically the waste produced my toxic molds. They can cause inflammation everywhere. My ophthalmologist could never figure out what was causing the lining inside my eyes to swell.
I tested positive specifically for GLIOTOXINS.
MYCOTOXINS...I'm not going into long explanations about these. They're EVERYWHERE. Even in our FOOD. They are extremely dangerous and we've all been, and continue to be exposed. Water damaged buildings, old and new. There's too much information and they are fascinatingly scary. I mention these bc I saw you mentioned other health problems. I'm 38. My internist told me a year and a half ago that I should be dead with everything my body's been through. I didn't get my diag
=
Last try... Tried to post THREE times!!! I can't type it again.... I apologize... PLEASE look up DEMODEX and MYCOTOXINS. Just Google the MYCOTOXINS with inflammation or eyes.
Especially the MYCOTOXINS since you mentioned other health issues. My story is LONG and continues. Good luck!
Oh seriously...Saw the last one (2nd) went thru. My diagnosis of Mycotoxicosis didn't come until this past November.

=
This posting problem drives everyone nuts and I've told the webmaster at Medhelp.org about it. Someone types in an entry then clicks on comment or answer button and nothing appears. You have to post a second time before it appears. Most people don't know this and they either leave angry or retype then it appears twice. I've told MedHelp.org about it they just don't seem to be able to fix it. Another problem is symbols appearing in words especially where hyphens should be  such as can$*@t for can't
Why is it that when I post a comment on here it never appears once I log in to this site? I click on post comment and it just disappears
I have never heard of anything so stupid. I just wrote up a five paragraph comment in hopes to help people concerning this eye condition spending about 20 minutes doing so only to be told "well everything you wrote is gonna disappear on your first try, but go ahead and use up 20 more minutes of your day reposting because there is a problem with the website that STILL hasn't been fixed. OMG, Really??
I agree Sennfull, totally ridiculous. I wrote up something that I know would help others on here, but I will not use more time up in my day because they have yet to correct this issue.
If you press on comment and it "disappears" just type in any letter and make a second comment. Either your first comment will appear out of the ether or both will appear. Medhelp.org appears unable to fix this as I have told them this many times and also about symbols appearing in text instead of apostrophe.  Go back and enter another single letter post after your disappeared one and it will appear out of nothing
I've  had this problem since like forever and I'm m 58. I've been told it's allergies as well as my sinuses. After all these years of suffering headaches ang gagging when brushing my teeth(and yes I know we're talking about strings in eyes)they decided to put a tube in my left ear. Sinuses so bad it stopped my hearing. Since tube, when sinuses act up-string starts in eye, mucus saturates cotton in ear and need antibiotics for ear. But better. Go figure
=
=
Read This Immediately!!!!! Hello, my name is Robert S. White, I am 48 years old and I am writing this message to anyone with stringy mucous eyes issues. I fought this battle for a little over 4 years and just thought that this was going to be a part of my life forever. I had gone to so many doctors and all of them kept feeding a line of CRAP, because they had no idea. They just kept saying things like If you keep your fingers out of your eyes it will go away (Eye Fishing Syndrome)…………………..Bullcrap! I wouldn’t have put my fingers in my eyes if there was nothing there! I know you want the answer like right now, but I want to explain what happened, I swear I have nothing to sell or push by the way, this is only information and hopefully something that will help if you suffer from this horrible affliction. So, about 3 months ago, I decided to go to Shands Hospital in Gainesville, FL., I explained everything to the doctor and he was the only one that told me that I was having an allergic reaction and that I was probably going to have to figure this out myself because the cost of being tested for everything on the planet was just not feasible. So, 3 weeks ago (Today is the 17th of April, 2017)I went on vacation to Universal Studios with my brother and I noticed the day after I arrived that my eyesight improved slightly and wasn’t as irritated as normal, I didn’t think too much about it until the next day when they were even better. After the 4th day, my eyesight was great and I was elated as much the stringy eye goo had dissipated. So, I finished the vacation and got back home and within 2 hours of getting home my eyes were on the fritz, so, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what was different and the only thing that I could come up with was that I remembered that I had forgotten my cologne when I went to Orlando. As an experiment I did not use my cologne (Curve), the next day. What do you know, my eyes got better, after 3 or 4 days my stringy eye goo had slowed tremendously. After a couple of weeks I had expected it to go away completely but I still had some going on, so, I decided to do a little more digging (Pun intended) and started to do research on the ingredients in the Curve cologne, it turns out that there are lots of chemicals in the cologne, one in particular, Propylene Glycol (PPG), seemed to be affecting many other people as well, I got to looking at my other products in my cabinet that I use and what do you know, my hair gel (L.A. Looks), my underarm deodorant (Degree), and many other products that I use have this chemical in it. I have since stopped using any products that have PPG in it which unfortunately makes my life more complicated because these products that do not have PPG’s is more expensive. So, to put all of this in a nutshell, I do not know if this is your problem, but like me it may turn out that you are having an allergic reaction to some product that you are using and it just may be the PPG additive in these products. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I truly hope this will help someone else and may solve your eye mystery. P.S. When I stopped using products with the PPG I also had some other added benefits that I didn’t even know were going to happen, I had a strange rash on my chest that went away (Right where I was spraying the cologne), my joints feel so much better (I was told because I had inflammation from my body trying to fight PPG in my body), I also had excruciating pain in my feet (Also because of the inflammation), if I have helped a single person it will make me feel so happy, Have a nice day.
=
I have had the same issues with my eyes for months now period I was told also that it was allergies. Antibiotic eye drops and over-the-counter eye drops have not helped. I too God the red swollen eyes from constantly trying to fish out the invisible goo. What really helps me is I take a black liquid eyeliner and dab it on the bottom of my eye tissue and then invisible goo turns black and I can gently scrape it away. Any time my eyes start bothering me that's what I do and it's all better. Hope this little trick helps someone else.
=
Hon...using eyeliner, or any eyemakeup while you have this, is only prolonging your infection, or reaction. Fishing it out of your eye is doing the same thing.
Im a woman, i love makeup, believe me i feel your pain, but you MUST MUST MUST THROW AWAY ANY EYE MAKE-UP- ESPECIALLY LINER AND MASCARA- you have used on or during this eye goop problem.
It only exacerbates the problem.
I have the same issue, thats why im here on this post, but using eye makeup even once after youve infected it by using on your eye is only constantly reinfecting your eyes.
=
What solved the problem for me was getting tear duct plugs. It was an immediate solution
Glad to hear and often a solution for "aquieous deficient" type of dry eye.