Eye Care Expert Forum
Clear or tinted

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Clear or tinted
I am thinking of putting the Acrysoft monofocus lens in both eyes and I am wondering which tint to use?

Will the yellow tinted lens give me just as good a clarity as the clear?

My Dr said he uses more yellow lenses than clear. He only uses clear if you ask for it.

I am wondering if the clear will be better for night, dim lighting, bright lighting, ect?

Please list the pros and cons of each please. I have done a few searches and can't find much info on this.

Thanks,
The yellow IOLs are more effective in blocking ultraviolet light than clear IOLs. That gives the eye extraprotection from macular degeneration. Patients normally do not see the yellow tint to their vision. Botton line yellow offers more protection
JCH MD

But does the yellow tint cause clarity issue in dim or not so well lit buildings?

So, why do they still make the clear??? for picky people like me? or does it give better clarity and better vision? (even though it might be slim or very very slim)
1. NO
2. Yes

vision equal same, color same for almost everyone, better UV blocker with yellow lens
called "blue blocker IOL"
JCH MD