Eye Care Expert Forum
Clogged Eyelash Pores

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Clogged Eyelash Pores
Hi there,

I clean my mascara off every night with Neutrogena Eye Make-Up remover, but for the past few weeks on and off I have been getting styes/clogged eyelash pores on the upper lash line of my left eye. At one point, it was because I was using a cheap brand of eye makeup remover, but I switched to neutrogena and it improved. However, I have recently used two different types of mascara and have gotten the styes again. I e-mailed the company, but since it's happened so much I don't know if it is that particular brand of mascara that is causing the problem. I don't wear mascara every day so it's not that I'm overloading my eyelashes with makeup. Any suggestions? These styes are uncomfortable!

Thank you very much :)
Caroline
Try using warm,moist compresses for 5 minutes twice a day and add some omega 3 fish oil and flax seed oil to your diet.  See an ophthalmologist to see if you may have lid margin disease or blepharitis and consider cleaining your eyelids with ocusoft original lid cleaning pads available at most drug stores.

MJK MD