Eye Care Expert Forum
Cloudy Vision
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cloudy Vision

Hi,
I had cataract surgery about 3 years ago and then had a detached retina.  The surgery took place in February 2007 and it went well.  My ophthalmologist said that my vision would be stable in about one year.  I changed my prescription about 3 times during this year.  And now, I am seeing cloudy when I'm outside and when I'm inside, I see as if there was plastic wrap over my eye.

Could this be my IOL or some sort of scarring ?

Any help/comments is appreciated.
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
Unfortunately even an eye that is successfully attached by surgery does not often recover full vision especially if the macula was detached. Ask your retina surgeon and also see your general ophthalmologist to get a second opnion.

JCH IIIMD
5 Comments
Blank
Thank you for responding ...
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
You are welcome
JCH
Blank
I just saw my optometrist and she discoverd that I needed a capsulotomy.  I have an appointment in one month with my opthalmologist.

FYI
In 30 percent to 40 percent of patients, the posterior capsule becomes cloudy following cataract surgery. The cloudiness can appear months or years after surgery. The main symptom is a decrease in vision. Another symptom is difficulty with glare and bright lights. If the cloudiness impairs vision, you will need a posterior capsulotomy. Patients sometimes mistakenly think the cataract has come back, but it cannot return because the natural lens of the eye has been removed.

It is removed with a YAG Laser.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
-
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers