Eye Care Community
Cloudy and Brown/Yellow Vision AFTER Cataract Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I had cataract surgery yesterday on my right eye.  It was not an easy experience as I was nauseous/vomited post-op which continued into the next day.  My eye patch was removed this morning.  This evening I discovered that my vision in my right eye cloudy to the point that I cannot see in the dark.  My color perception is MORE yellow/brown in my right eye as well, as compared to my left eye that has not been operated on, but does  have a small cataract.  I'm currently applying Vigamox, a steriod drop and a anti-inflammatory drop.  My doctor told me the implanted lense has a UV filter and that may contribute to the color.  He also said the drops cause my pupil to remain very small (almost indiscernable) and that could also be the reason for the color distoration/cloudiness.

I'm an artist and somewhat panicky, since color plays a tremendous role in my work.  The explanations given seem to contradict the experiences post-op of many patients,  Please comment.

I'm assuming that you have a yellow Alcon IOL.  The yellow color is for blue-light filtration, which is thought to help prevent age-related macular degeneration (although whether it does so is very controversial.)  I also have yellow Alcon implants, and I researched the color perception issue before my surgery.  Based on all the research I could uncover, the lenses should not affect your color perception once your eye has healed from the surgery.  So give it more time--you are still early in the healing process.
---------------------------
Thank you for the advice.  Others should be glad to hear that the color  perception and cloudiness has improved already.  AND, I did some research online about the Alcon Natural lens that was implanted.  It is one of the very best.  As I have a small, non-progressing macular hole, I now understand why my surgeon chose the lens he did.  I am much reassured.  All my anxiety could have been avoided had I been more proactive and researched the lens beforehand.  This is the best advice that I can give to others.

I'm great and expect my paintings to reflect my better vision!

TessTx