Eye Care Expert Forum
Cobwebs and spots in one eye only

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Cobwebs and spots in one eye only
I am 49 years old and during the past couple of weeks I have experienced spots and cobwebs in my left eye only. My left eye is my lazy eye and I don't know if this would be a factor. At first, there were spotts that looked like fleas that were flying in front of me. Now the spots have subsdided but in the corner of left eye thee is a thread like cobweb which is always there. There is also a very slight veil across my left eye. It really is not affecting my visions but I wanted to know if floaters are more common in one eye or both eyes.

My last exam was about 8 months ago and everything was fine.

You DEFINITELY need to call an ophthalmologist in order to make an appointment to be seen in a day or two. You may have a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) but could also have a retinal tear or retinal detachment or vitreous hemorrhage.  It is very important to be seen in order to find out what you have.  Hopefully it is just a PVD which is fairly harmless by itself.

MJK MD