Eye Care Community
Cold Laser Treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cold Laser Treatment

About 5 years ago I had a cold laser treatment to correct fluid leakage in my eye caused by Central Serous  Retinopathy.  My vision was great then about 2 years ago it started to get worst.  At first no doctor could tell me why.  They said there was change in the retina which they could see but did not know why it happened.  I recently saw a retina specialist who said that the retina change was from scar tissue due to the cold laser treatment.  He said it was often the case that the vision improved after the initial treatment but deteriorated after 4 to 5 years from scaring.  He said my vision lost was permanent.  Because of the vision lost he said they no longer performed the cold laser treatment to stop fluid leakage. Is there something that can be done to restore my lost vision?
"cold laser" is not descriptive of any standard treatment. Do you mean visudyne (photodynamic) therapy?

JCH MD
Yes, I think that is the technical name.  The treatment involved the injection of a fluid into my body.  The fluid went to my eyes and then the doctor used a laser light on my eyes  which caused the fluid to firm up and stop the leak in my eye.
Get a second opinion from a different retina eye MD. Scarring is very uncommon with photodynamic treatment.

JCH MD
What about scarring from just the csr with no treatment?  I have been told that I have bad scarring in my left eye causing continued metamorphasis.  It's been since 2007 of July that I had initial leak.

Will one day with better technology, scar tissue be able to be removed?  

Also I was told that the new distortions that I am seeing lately are the scar tissue getting worse over time.  Does it really stretch and get worse over time?
scars anywhere on the body including in the eye can get better, worse or stay the same over time.   It is hard to generalize what will happen with medical research. Medical research is not carried out in a bubble and the world melt-down economy and the deteriorating business conditions in the US and Europe are causing less money to be spent on research, labs are closing and research scientists out of work. In the US all the lawsuits are a major factor also.  The outlook for medical research is worsening just like the US economy.

JCH MD
Wow, thank you for the quick reply.
Last Friday due to some new changes with the amslers grid in my left eye I went in to see the Opthamologist who put me on a OCT 3d scan.  He said nothing had changed; is it possible for this to just not pick up early leaking?  

These changes really make me feel like something is wrong.  Also is it possible that if indeed the scarring is the root cause that it could stop"stretching" or doing whatever it's doing and the distortion could go away?

Would I be well served to get a angiography instead?