Eye Care Expert Forum
Compounded Ocular Diseases

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Compounded Ocular Diseases

I seen the Retinal Specialist yesterday and received some more disturbing news. Apparently I have what appears to be juvenile X-linked Retinoschisis and another different type of cataract in both eyes (this brings the total to all 3 known types of cataracts in both eyes). All of this is an addition to Cystoid Macular Degeneration, Degenerative Myopia and a regular Astigmatism, we must not also forget the retinal holes. How is all of this possible? I heard that juvenile X-linked Retinoschisis is extremely rare in females but two different Retinal Specialist confirmed that it appears to be the X-linked Retinoschisis. Could I actually have this or could I have been misdiagnosed as a 5 year old? My mother was told I had lazy eye as a child and I had to wear glasses to correct the problem or my eyes could have become crossed.

My vision has also changed (which I can't understand) my left eye has went from 20/150 to 20/100 and my right eye has went from 20/150 to 20/200 all of that in a span of 6 weeks.

Can ocular diseases really compound each other like this, it just doesn't seem real? I go back in another 6 weeks, I just really don't want or need anymore bad news. Also, I am considering getting a white walking cane for the blind and visually impaired, do you feel it is appropriate or even warranted? I'm getting tired of being asked by people (police officers and various strangers) am I drunk - just because my depth perception is off and I trip and stumble because I can't tell when the floor/ground terrain changes (e.g., step up or step down).
I'm sorry you have so many problems.  You have a very complicated set of eye problems it seems.  Cataracts are easily dealt with so it's the retinal issues that really warrant the best mind medicine has to offer.  You need to get another opinion just for your peace of mind.  Find a very experienced academic retinal specialist.  Usually they would be at the local university based residency program in ophthalmology.  I doubt anyone on this forum would have the expertise to give you any advice on this issue.

HV
I understand, thank you for being honest with me. It is very troubling that my eyes seem to keep getting worse. Sometimes it feels like my right eye is just barely holding on, almost like it is completely malfunctioning.

My retinal specialist is based out of the university, in fact she actually heads their opthalmology program and has various other credentials. I am very comfortable with her, it's just all my eye issues - the outlook seems so very grim.
I agree with Dr. Vosoghi.  It never hurts to obtain a second opinion, especially for your peace of mind.  It is possible that part of your vision problem is due to the cataract.  Discuss with your retina specialist whether he or she feels that taking the cataracts out would be of benefit.  If it would, I would advise you to see a very competent cataract surgeon (the retina specialist would certainly be able to recommend one), and have the cataract surgery with a monofocal implant, or a toric implant if you have astigmatism, but NOT a multifocal implant.