Eye Care Expert Forum
Congenital Cataracts

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Congenital Cataracts
I had congenital cataracts that  started to become a problem at 45.  I found a great surgeon that removed them and I had him install two Tecnis Z9002 aspheric monofocal IOLs which I'm very happy with.  Due to the nature of congenital cataract, the surgeon had to leave some excess on the back of my right eye.  He immediately informed of this & stated that I would probably need YAG laser treatment  (capsulotomy) after 3+ months.  I immediately noticed that my right eye has some distortion that is rather bad in bright light environments; appears as fuzzy mist in florescent lighting & headlights.  It has been a couple weeks and my left eye is perfectly clear; so, I figure that the problem is the excess instead of light sensitivity.  Do I have a good chance of this clearing after the capsulotomy?  Would it be possible to have some of the excess surgically removed if the capsulotomy doesn't clear it up?
Distortion is usually not seen with pc haze.  You should discuss this with your surgeon.

Dr. O.