Eye Care Community
Congenital cataract surgery for 13years old boy in India

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Sir/madam,
Thanks in advance for answering my query. My elder son who is 13 years now got opaque retina in his left eye at birth time. We consulted the doctors at 40 days of age. They said it is congenital cataract which might be caused due to rubella or any other virus. We don't have any family history of the case. But the doctors said as ONE EYE IS NORMAL, THERE ARE CHANCES OF IT GETTING INFECTED IF WE OPT FOR SURGERY.  Moreover the chances of 100 % vision is also doubtful. They asked us to be content and in his early teens it may be corrected artificially.
Another eye is normal now and cataract eye attained squint. Now he is feeling inferior and pressurizing for removal of cataract. He wants at least cosmetic surgery to correct the squint. I feel guilty now after reading in websites now that it has to be corrected in infancy stage to restore vision. IS IT TRUE? I was with hopes that he will gain eyesight. PLEASE HELP ME TO RESTORE THE EYESIGHT. IAM WILLING TO GET HIM OPERATED BY AFFORDING ANY  EXPENDITURE  in any country . PLEASE HELP.
It would have been difficult to remove the congenital cataract and restore good vision.  I do not believe many doctors were implanting IOLs in children 13 years ago.

The cataract can now be removed but it will not improve vision.  Squint surgery can be done but the results will not be permanent since this eye does not see.

Dr. O.