Eye Care Community
Conjunctivitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Conjunctivitis

Please help.  About 3 months ago, I started developing red/bloodshot eyes.  Over the last 2 weeks they have become very red and definitely look like "pink eye" in the mornings.  I have been using drops to eliminate the red and will be going to see an eye doc.

Symptoms:  Extremely red eyes (many capilaries enlarged and red).  Eyes have demonstrated definite reddness over the last 2 - 3 months.  Over the last 2 weeks or so they have become extremely red.  There is no no pus/discharge.  If anything, they slightly itch.  In general, there is no significant watery discharge either.

What type of conjunctivitis can have an extended period without self-resolving?  I have read that adenoviral conjunctivitis self resolves within 1-2 weeks and bacterial generally resolves withing 2- 3 weeks.  Therefore, I am growing concerned with the "staying power" of this redness.  As additonal info, I am also concerned that the redness is related to a sexual exposure I had as the redness began within a few days.

So my questions are the following?
1) What types of conjunctivitis would demonstrate the above symptoms and duration?
2) What are the symptoms of:
a) Ocular herpes?
b) Chlymidal conjunctivities?
c) Gonnococal conjunctivitis?
3) Given that there is no discharge, do the symptoms above fit any of the std related causes of conjunctivities?
4) Can the eye MD distinguish the difference between a "normal" viral infection versus the viral std causes? and the same for the "normal " bacterial causes versus the bacterial std causes?

Please try and give me as much info as possible so that I may ask the right questions when I am checked out next week.

Thanks.

Redness in the abscence of discharge does not suggest STD in the eye.

Get a second opnion from an ophthalmolgoist. Red eyes have many many causes and often examination does not provide an exact diagnosis

JCHMD
I have been to an optomotrist twice that reviewed my eyes.  His first response was that it was blepharitis.  He initially gave me antibiotic drops w/ an anti-inflamatory to reduce redness.  The "look" of the redness got better but I suspect it was related to the anti-inflamatory agent in the drops.  (not necessarily the antibiotic in the drops.)

I saw him a second time and he gave me drops to help if the reaction was an allergic reaction.  (No improvement.)

How do I find a good opthamologist?