Eye Care Expert Forum
Constant flickering light in peripheral vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

31  year old, female history of 2 retinal detachments in right eye due to injury. My retina has been attached for a little over 10 years. I have always had flashes since the surgery. Within the past several months, I have experineced a flickering light in my side vision of my right eye (kind of like a light bulb that is dying) I have seen my retinal specialist numerous times since the start of this. He says he doesn't know what it is, from a retinal stand point I am completely attached. It is so annoying because it is constant. It occurs with my eye open or closed. Has anyone had anything similar?
Dear Nell1234,

I would normally recommend that you seek the care of a retinal specialist with such symptoms and would recommend that you continue to communicate your concerns with your retinal doctor.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
It sounds very similar to what I am experiencing now.  I have 3 RD's since Jan 09 and have had gas, scleral buckle, and now have silicone oil retained eye.  I notice the flickering at different times of the day.  Mostly after I have been up and walking around a bit it is more noticeable and constant.  My retinal surgeon has assured me my retina is intact right now and thinks I might be getting some kind of shimmering affect from the oil.  However, from reading posts of other people who have had scleral buckles, it seems common for us with the buckles to have some strange visual images from time to time.  I don't know if this is useful to you just my personal experience!
Thank you for responding, I also have a buckle too. I am wondering if the shape of my eye is changing as I am getting older and maybe that is putting pressure on my buckle therefore giving me the constant flickering.
I'm not sure it is from the scleral buckle. Yes, the buckle changes the shape of the eye and results in greater myopia, but it in no way causes vitreoretinal tractional "flashes". This is becuase the buckle is designed to alleviate traction, not create more.

I think the flickering phenomenon is more a neurological event. I'm guessing that it is just how our brain perceives certain signals from the retina, which have been affected greatly due to repeat surgeries. It's probably pretty similar in nature to phosphenes that have been noted to occur in meditators or those taking hallucinogenics. However, this is all just my opinion

I still experience occasional flashes in both eyes. The left eye has been attached for a little over a year. The right eye is currently attached and the PVR seems to be under control.  
You're visual phenomena is probably more a result of the silicone oil. The oil due to its properties can have a strange effect on vision (as can either sf6 or c3f8 gas). The silicone oil can cause odd reflections and glare among other visual disturbances.