Eye Care Community
Contact Lense user w/ ONE swollen, itchy eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hello all-
I am a long time contact lense wearer.  I currently use Night & Day contact lenses.  I have been using them for approximately 6 years.  I do NOT wear them for 30 days and nights- usually 4 in a row and then I give myself a break.  For the past 4 to 5 months my Left eye (and only my left) has been "rejecting" my contact- my eye gets VERY itchy, especially in the tear duct area on the medial side of my eye, and I will feel like my contact is "floating". My vision in that eye will be blurred, like there is something on my contact.  I also get a discharge from that eye, but only when the contact is in.  In response to these symptoms I have been giving my eyes breaks of 2 or 3 days with no contact wear.  However, when I go to put my contacts back in the Left one (the same eye with the other symptoms) will be totally unwearable, and when I look at it it will have a "dimpled" appearance on the surface.  Is there anything I can do to combat this?  What is wrong?  If I go to see my doctor, what should I expect him to do?
Thank you!
Everyone that wears contacts needs to be under the care of an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. See whomever fit you.

JCH MD