Eye Care Expert Forum
Contact lenses after refractive surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Contact lenses after refractive surgery
Are there any special concerns about wearing contact lenses after cornea surgery, specifically PRK and  limbal relaxing incisions? I am wondering about eye irritation problems or greater risks of eye infection because the contact sits on top of eye structures that have surgical scars.Thank you for your reply.
I don't forsee much of an issue as long as the contact fits properly, you wear it appropriately, don't sleep in it, and it has excellent oxygen permeability.  In the end, the final say so will come only from your personal ophthalmologist who will have to approve the use of the contact.  Don't do it on your own, that could spell big trouble.

MJK MD
A related discussion, Lost contact lens after prk surgery was started.