Continued Eye Pain and Pressure
My son, now 18, had an operation a year ago on his left eye.  He has two permanent holes in his retina.  They could not laser the holes but did a procedure which creates scar tissue around the holes to prevent further tears.  This was becuase of a blunt trauma injury where a tennis ball hit his eye from a student swinging a racket 2 feet from him. He sustained a major concussion as well.

Now, a year later he has seen the surgeon twice, Ophthalmologist twice and primary care physician twice due to continued pain and pressure that occurs a few times a week and lasts from 5-15 minutes.  The pain is severe enough that it keeps him awake at night.  Yet, it then completely goes away and returns.

My pediatrician suggested the idea of an MRI.  Retina specials and Ophthamology test all indicate his eye is fine and are insisting it is not an eye problem.  Yet, it is an eye problem because he has pain in only the left eye that sustained the injury and the pain is where the retina holes are.

Ophthamology wants to send us to a neurologist and is now suggesting cluster headaches or chronic parosysmal herni crania.  Why are they calling it a possible cluster headache?  He has no headache - just severe eye pain and pressure that comes and goes.  Why are they hesitant to pre-cert for an MRI?

I am very concerned and frustrated.  Advice?

Please email me at ***@**** as I am new to this site and unsure if I can access again.

Thank you.
If you can access it let me know in a subsequent message.

JCH III MD