Eye Care Expert Forum
Copper-colored brown ring around the pupil

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Recently, I noticed that there is a brownish copper-colored ring like formation around the pupil in the iris. What could be the cause?
It may just be normal pigmentation.of the iris. The only abnormal situation with copper discoloration of the cornea is Wilson's Disease which is associated with excessive copper levels and liver disease among other things.  It is usally seen best with an ophthalmic microscope, not with the naked eye.  In the end, without seeing you, I cannot say what you have for sure.  You would have to see an ophthalmologist in person to find out.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Copper golden rings around cornea-  called Kayser-Fleischer rings.

They form from many causes, but the most important is copper accumulation in the body, due to Wilsons Disease.

Have an Ophthalmologist verify Kaysers, and an internist run a Wilson's screening.
A related discussion, Brown circles was started.