Eye Care Community
Cornea Thickening

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cornea Thickening

Hello! My niece said that her eye doctor stated that she had thickening of the cornea. She cannot seem to be able to explain what this condition means of the name of the condtion. Can you help?
Its too inexact to tell you much.

The average corneal central thickness is about 535 microns. BUT that's like saying the average man is 5 feet 7 inches. It doesn't mean a 6 footer is abnormal.

This would be of concern only if there was a disease of the cornea like Fuchs dystrophy that was making the cornea thick due to fluid (edema) collection or in glaucoma where a very thin cornea increase the seriousness of disease (in glaucoma a thicker cornea is a GOOD thing).  She will need to get clarification from her "eye doctor'

JCHMD
i wanted to make and eye lazic surgery few days ago but there was a problem in my eye cornea that it was too thin the doctor told me that we shell wait for few months following any change otherwise we might do a thickening surgery now the question is that how can i thicken my cornea without that surgery ???
You can not thicken your cornea any more than you can make yourself get taller or shorter.

If you have a thin cornea sometimes the lasik surgery can be done on the surface of the cornea rather than in the middle. Discuss with your surgeon.

JCH MD
sir is there really no procedure for thickening of the cornea? two weeks back my doctor advised me for a procedure where some rays are projected on my cornea. how much effective will it be?
You will have to ask "your doctor" or get a second opinion

JCH MD