Eye Care Expert Forum
Corneal Injury

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Corneal Injury
Last January 2009 I dropped a meter lead into my right eye.  It pierced the Cornea and nickced the lens.
The already developing cataract blossomed.
When looking at t bright light from a distance I used to see a "keyhole" shape in the light.
This past Wednesday 12/23/09 I had cataract surgery.  
My opthomologist told me that there is a visible scar on the cornea dead center in the pupil.
It has only been two days since the surgery and my vision in the right eye had gone from 20/100+ to less than 20/70.
Is there any combination of meds or vitimins tha I can take to help the scar go away?
The basic answer is no, you definitely cannot make the scar go away.  If superficial it sometimes can be scraped off or laser off with an excimer laser.  If deeper, a corneal transplant procedure would be needed to actually get rid of the scar.  This would be a complex surgery and your doctors need to evaluate whether you would do better as you are or possibly find an improvement with a transplant procedure, which of course has not guarantee of improvement but a good track record of success.

MJK M