Eye Care Expert Forum
Corneal Opacity (Scar) Healing

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Corneal Opacity (Scar) Healing
Hello - I am recovering from Acanthamoeba Keratitis (which a long a frustrating story !). I am being treated with PHMB and Brolene and the infection has been eliminated - 6 months now (mostly, treatment continues for one year.) The infection has left a corneal opacity half covering my pupil (central axis) and I see foggy. I have begun cortizone treatment (Lotemax 0.5%) and in 3 weeks I have seen a difference in vision (more distinct forms and colors are starting to appear where before it was very foggy) and also in the presentation of the scar (seems to be shrinking and becoming more transparent, albeit slowly, but every day there's a gradual difference)..
   So my question is: Can the eye eventually repair to normal lamillar and orthogonal collagen transparency over time? How much time approximately? What sort of methods or supplements (vitamins, etc) can enhance and enable the complex cascade involved in corneal healing? What equipment measures the opacity's thickness to determine whether PTK is effective (in the case the opacity does not clear entirely? - which I believe it will !! ;)  
    Thanx for all your attention and consideration -  Anthony
Time to clearing of the opacity will depend on its size:  depth and extent.  I am not aware of any benefit from supplements, but certainly maintaining a healthy diet and taking multivitamins can't hurt.  Anterior segment OCT may help determine the depth of the scar, in case PTK is needed.  
Thanx much for your response! - Do you know the physiological progression of repairing and clearing corneal tissue: Does the clearance happen in all directions cellularly? -- Cheers, A