Eye Care Community
Corneal infiltrates related to eye infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

In late December 2009 I devolved severe red eye with a very watery, mucous like discharge.  I was prescribed Acular at first and it did not help with my symptoms.  A few days later I went back to the OD and was given Azasite for what was possibly a bacterial conjunctivitis.  This seemed to clear the infection and in about 5 days I was free of the red eye and pain so I resumed contact lens wear after about 10 days.  Well, about 3 days after wearing my contacts I noticed that my vision was very hazy like looking through a frosted glass window and lights seem to have a starburst or halo effect.  I immediately went to the Optho and he said that I had what looked to be classic EKC and that I had developed Sub Epithelial Infiltrates.  He took me out of my contacts and  treated me with several weeks of Lotemax using the taper measure and I felt like my symptoms got better but never totally resolved.  I keep going back on a weekly basis for checkup and he advised me that I could go ahead and wear my contacts.  Well I put my contacts back in and still continued to have problems with glare.  I went back and on the next follow-up visit he said that he did see some SEI and that it would just take time for them to clear but he did not say to stop wearing contacts.   Well, a week later I was miserable have terrible difficulties driving at night and therefore I just went back to the OD that I saw in the first place and she said that she saw several SEI and some corneal edema and that my cornea was not intact.  She advised me to start back up the Lotemax every two hours and see her again in 5 days.  My question is that I am very concerned that my vision will never be the same and that I will not ever be able to wear contacts again.  Does anyone know how long these SEI last and if they do last for awhile can you continue to wear the contacts even though you still have glare and halos?  Should I see a corneal specialist?

I would leave the contacts out and see a corneal specialist. Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCHMD
Can you please tell me how was the condition resolved?
=