Eye Care Community
Cortisone and declined vision
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cortisone and declined vision

I recently had surgery and they gave be cortisone via IV before my blood transfusions.  My eye sight was perfect before and had now problems reading.  After the surgery which is now two and half week ago, I struggle focusing with reading the letters go all blurry.  My doctor advised me to get my eyes tested as a CT has been done and came up clear.  It turns out that my eye sight has declined and I now have +75 in each eye.   The optician told me that cortisone can affect your vision - is this true?  Or what else could have caused this decline in my eyesight?  I now need glasses where before I was very proud of my good eye sight, I am 33 years old.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
If you are overweight, have a fmaily history of diabetes, are pre diabetic then cortisone can raise your blood sugar level and that can cause focus problems.

See an ophthalmologist.  

Your glassesRX is for farsighted. Cortison will not cause permanent farsighted. However as people with farsighed (moderate or large) get older then start to need glasses. The illness may have just made it "come out" because you were ill. But not the cause.
JCH MD
Blank
Thank you for your advice.
I am not overweight but I do have history of diabetes in my family.

I will make an appointment with an ophthalmologist.

Thank you.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
-
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources