Eye Care Community
Cost of Cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cost of Cataract surgery

I have no medical insurance and I have an agressive cataract in my right eye that has made me legally blind in that eye.  Does anyone know what the range of actual cost of cataract surgery sans insurance payments is.  It would be mono focal and only the one eye.  Any information would be appreciated.
It is  a disgrace how doctors and clinics treat self paying patients. You can negotiate  if you know exactly what medicare compensates them for certain procedures. I discovered that they receive less than half what they charge from medicare. Find a clinic that specializes in medicare and high volume cataract surgeries since they have stream lined their practice to live within those guidelines and they still make a fair profit. If you wait for Obama care you're screwed. At any rate, your vision has a higher priority than almost anything and well worth getting a second job if necessary. Don't put it off.
If you live in the United States there is no reason you can't get  quality medical care. A high deductible is better than no deductable at all. Almost all physicians and hospitals are willing to make arrangements for regular payments to debts owed. If you are a veteran there is the VA. Most major metropolitan areas have charity hospitals and clinics that provide care to the needy and indigent. Most metropolitan areas have “free clinics”. Most medical schools provide no cost or reduced cost in exchange for the care being provided by Resident Physicians and Fellows under the supervision of staff physicians. The Lions Clubs and Delta Gamma provide eye care assistance.  The American Academy of Ophthalmology has for years run “Eye Care for America” in which free care is provided. Contact them to learn more.

Many people can finance their medical care with what they spend on
alcohol, tobacco, gambling and fancy clothes and vacations. 75% of the people in the United States that don’t have insurance CAN afford it but choose not to get it gambling they won’t get sick or injured. That’s never a good bet.

You could negotiate a cash payment with a surgeon that has their own surgicenter to include surgical fees, implant, facility fee. Prices would vary probably about $3500-$5000. Higher in areas where the trial lawyers keep the cost of malpractice insurance high.
JCH MD
In the state where I live, I am not eligible for Medicaid because I'm too yound and not disabled.  I don't smoke or drink.  I am employed, but underemployed at the moment (I am grateful to have any job in this awful economy).  I have other health issues so I've been turned down for every insurance policy I've applied for, regardless of cost.  I am one of those people who were praying healthcare reform would pass just for the "pre-existing conditions"provisions.

I thank you for the suggestions and I will follow up on them.  The University of Cincinnati Medical school is close by and they helped me out before with discounted medical care, maybe they have eye surgeons there as well.  
The Cincinnati Eye Institute is world famous. You might call and ask about resources for the financially challenged in your area. Would also call Am Acad of Ophthalmology and ask about their programs of free care in your area.

JCH MD
I've already been to Cincinnati Eye Institute.  They diagnosed my condition.  Without a doubt they were incredibly thorough and professional.  My concern with them is getting an accurate pre-surgery accounting of what the cost will be.  I informed them prior to my appointment that I was self pay and needed to know exactly how much it would cost.  They told me no more than $285.00.  When I got the bill it was $350.00 more than that.  What if they do the same thing with the surgery?  I need to find a less expensive option.
Okay then good luck.
JCH MD
-
Thanks so much for all your suggestions and support.  It really makes you feel better to realize you're not alone.  Cincinnati Eye Institute put me in touch with a group called "the Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired."  Their purpose is to keep people working who have a visual impairment, or find people with visual impairments jobs.  Based on need, they may pay for all or part of the surgery.  I may take them up on the finding employment part of their service as well.  It's very proactive and I'm all for that.  I waiting to hear back from my counselor to set up my initial appointment.  This service is offered through the Rehabilitation Services Commission of Ohio, but other states may offer something similar.  If any of you are experiencing similar problems, your eye surgeon's office may know of something that's offered in your locale.  Thanks again for all the great feedback.  As things progress, I'll post updates.