Eye Care Expert Forum
Cost of retinal tear treatment?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Cost of retinal tear treatment?
I am a 64 year old female. Upon dilation my optometrist found a large floater and a "spot". This was during an annual
eye exam/cotact lens checkup. I have no symptoms - no floaters or bright flashes.  I am scheduled to see an
ophthamologist next week. If it is a retinal tear(?) what would be the approximate cost? I have no health insurance.
It depends on the surgeon.  It is a bit negotiable too.  If you tell them that you don't have insurance and show proof of financial hardship, they may give you a big discount.  Don't be shy to ask as if they want to charge you too much, you can call around and get prices from different retina specialists in your area.  Including the exam, it could range in cost from 400-500 to 1500 dollars.

HV