Eye Care Expert Forum
Cotton wool spots from platelet donation?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I donated platelets for the first time on Monday, and on Tuesday I noticed this crescent moon shadow in my left eye.   I went to the opthamologist today, and she determined I had a cotton wool spot in my left eye.   I don't have hypertension, diabetes or any of the other known causes, but started wondering about whether a possible low platelet count could have been the cause.   I didn't even mention the platelet donation to her as it didn't even occur to me it could be related for some reason.   Is it a possible cause?

Thanks much.

Jane
I don't know of an association between platelet donation and cotton wool spots.  I would see your medical doctor for an evaluation, including blood tests for lupus and HIV.
Thank you for your response.