Eye Care Community
Could a very dense cataract lead to capsule rupture during surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

A year ago my surgeon said I should have a cataract removed only if I wanted to.
At the time, I felt I saw well enough, so l chose not to.
But in one year, I could only see vague forms with that eye, so I had the surgery done.
My cataract was so thick that a photo couldn't be taken of it, so a doctor had to
take the measurement of my eye by numbing the eye and applying some instrument.

My question is, could a very dense cataract lead to capsule rupture during surgery?
Or maybe I should ask, does a rupture necessarily have to be a result of a very dense cataract?

I'm 74 and will need to have the cataract in my other eye removed due to its getting worse,
and wonder if I should seek another surgeon.

Thank you so much.
The incidence of complications including a capsular rupture will increase with the severity of the cataract.  I would see  the same surgeon for the other eye since he has already experienced the problem with you first eye.

Dr. O.