Eye Care Expert Forum
Could my glasses prescription be wrong?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Could my glasses prescription be wrong?
I recently went for an eye exam to get a new prescription for my glasses as they are over 4 years old and the anti-glare coating is coming off.  My O.D.'s opinion was that I could stay with my current glasses as the change in my vision was very slight and I did not have any change to my astigmatism, but, as I mentioned before, my glasses are a wreck and I need a new pair so I was given a new prescription card.  When I got my new glasses, everything was distorted and gave me a massive headache and nausea.  Could my new prescription be incorrect?

My OLD prescription is (Distance only):
O.D. -1.25 (sphere)
O.S. -1.00 (sphere)  -0.75 (cylinder-sph)  150 (Axis)

The NEW prescription is (Distance only)"
O.D. -1.00 (sphere)
O.S. -0.75 (sphere)  -1.25(cylinder-sph)  150 (Axis)
There is a slight difference in the astigmatism in the left eye.  Normally this would not cause the significant symptoms you are having.  If you are not able to adapt comfortably to the new prescription, I would have your doctor check your eyes again, and make sure that the new lenses were made properly.
I had a doctor give me the wrong prescription, so I went back and showed him my old prescription and it helped him to adjust it. For me, he overcorrected my astigmatism..