Eye Care Expert Forum
Crystal lens or Standard lens

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Crystal lens or Standard lens
I have a cataract in my left eye due to the inflamation and my right is just fine. My doctor initialy suggested me Crystal lens. But after talking readings of both the eyes he said he is not confident of vision because the measurements of both the eyes are not same. But from my previous reports he assumes that both eyes are symmetric. He said we are not getting the correct measurements becuase of my cataract. But he said we need exact measurements to put Crystal lens. He said in this case he recommend me standard lens. Now I am confused.  Can you suggest me.

Thanks,
PKN
Dear PKN0322,

From what you say above, I think the doctor is trying to determine the power of the implant to put in your eye.  Usually, one’s eyes are fairly similar in length.  He is trying to avoid having you pay for an upgraded lens and not being happy if you still require glasses.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Thank you so much fro your reply. I have one more question. As I told already that I have inflamation in my left eye. but which lens is safer to implant in that condition.