Eye Care Expert Forum
Cunjuctiva rolling forward after Scleral Buckle failure

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

i am a 40 year old male, so other than the problem i had, my eyes are very healthy. I fell and hit my head and detached my retina. The doctor did a scleral buckle procedure and after about a month i noticed what looked like a flap of membrane in the corner of my eye. i went and seen the doctor and he said the suture came loose and formed an erosion on the buckle. he took me in and added 4 sutures. a week later i had another flap of membrane showing, this time on the bottom of my eye.he said something about the sutures dissolving before my eye would heal. he then scheduled me for surgery again and went in and removed the buckle. the retina remained attached and i thought all was well. now, 5 days later, i again have a flap of membrane showing in the bottom of my eye, same spot only larger. i am very concerned that my conjunctiva is shredding or something. should i look for a new doctor to resolve this problem? i am just starting to lose faith here, really could use some advice and an explanation of what is happening. thanks for the help :)
1 Comment
I should clarify, the scleral buckle was not a failure. it worked. i only mean that i am one of the 1% that reject the buckle.