Eye Care Community
DR JCh

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

DR JCh

Many Thanks for your speedy response in regards to my previous email. My son is 2 and got lipodermoide. I would like to ask one more questions, what age is suitable for him to go thru surgery and what are the risk involved in the process. Will there be any possibility of any side effect after the surgery. I value your time and appriciate your help . Much obliged.

Dr. Hagan is on vacation and I'm filling in.  The lipodermoid does not always need to be removed.  It depends on several factors.  First the doctor needs to know exactly if it is truly a lipodermoid.  I  would make sure you see an ophthalmologist very experienced in this field.  A pediatric ophthalmologist who specializes in orbital tumors would be best.  The University of Pennsylvania hospital in Philadelphia for example has an excellent program.  Talk with the specialist and determine whether or not excision is appropriate - then if it is, you can get into issues of recovery, possible complications etc.

MJK MD
Many thanks Dr.
I live in UK and wondered if you can kindly provide me the contact info for " The University of Pennsylvania hospital in Philadelphia "
I am grateful for your help.

Regards
MM