Eye Care Expert Forum
DRUSEN

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

DRUSEN

I am 40 years of age and in December 2007, I had a problem with my right eye which was affecting my vision.I am type 2 Diabetic, my sugars are controlled, cholestrol is low & blood pressure is spot on and in Novemebr 07 I had a diabetic retinopathy check. Naturally I assumed my eye problem was to do with my diabetes,but I went to my G.P. who directed me to my local hospital eye specialist.I saw a Consultant who told me that it wasn`t my diabetes, it was a Drusen pushing against the optic nerve causing the loss of my central vision,my Peripheral Vision is fine and I have read about dry & wet form. How do I know which form I have? Will the drusen move and will I get my central vision back. Can you also explain how it happens? I am a Police Officer and in December I had a nasty fall on my left arm damaging my ligaments as a result of an arrest, could the Drusen have moved as a result of this.It is really worrying me, all I am being told is to wait for the swelling to go down, but it is affecting my career.
Tags: drusen
The drusen will not be affected by your fall.  A few drusen - all by themselves - usually will not affect your vision.  You must have some more extensive problem like macular degeneration or rpe detachment or severe optic disc drusen.  something else.  Simply having drusen is very common - so your description of what you have is not specific enough for me to help.  Do you have optic disc drusen or macular drusen??  What is you treatment regimen?  These are very basic questions.  Need more info?

MJK MD
Thankyou for your prompt reply. As for optic disc or macular drusen, I don`t know,as for the more extensive problem, again I haven`t been told. I have not been given or told of any treatment. All I have been told is that there is nothing they can do. Your questions will help me, I have to see the Consultant at the end of February and I shall certainly put these questions to her and I will get back to you. Once again, thankyou.
When I look at stright lines they look wavy,I went to a MD who found 5 to 10 drusens on the macular.He said I did not have ARMD but said the drusen was the problem.Said he had only seen a drusen cause this 2 times in 30 years,but did not know what could be the problem other than the drusen.I am 59 male.Has any one had this problem?
In reply to your questions on 7/2/08. I have now seen my consultant. I have Anterior Ischaemic Optic Neuropathy (A.I.O.N.) which has caused a blockage of blood to the nerve causing the loss of my central vision. I also have optic disc drusen, not macular drusen but they are not sure if my A.I.O.N. has been caused by my diabetes or the disc drusen.My diabetes is controlled as I have explained. They have said that the haemoraging has now gone, my optic nerve is still swollen and there is no improvement in my central vision.I have been told there is no treatment available, I have to wait to see if the nerves surrounding the dead nerve can fuse together to compensate and allow some of my central vision back.I have to go back in 6 weeks to see them. I am still none the wiser. My other concern is, at the present I am on light duties,this was due to my arm which is better now, but my eye problems occured during this time, if I go back on full operational duty with my eye still swollen, if I get involved in a fight and get hit to the head or eye, will this cause further problems or should I stay on light duties until the swelling has gone. I did ask my consultant but she said she didn`t know.
I defer to your personal physician - though in general I don't see why you couldn't perform normal duties.

Michael Kutryb, MD