Eye Care Expert Forum
DRY MYOPIC MACULAR DEGENERATION

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

DRY MYOPIC MACULAR DEGENERATION

How fast Dry Myopic macular degeneration leads to vision loss? I started seeing wavy with both eyes , in the last 2 months i have seen a lot of change with my eyes. I am 36 years old with -14D in both eyes. Any recommendations?

Thankyou
Sri
I would not assume this is dry myopic degeneration.  You need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist specializing in retina disease.  OCT and/or fluorescein angiography is needed to determine if there is any leakage.
Thankyou for your response. I  my retina specialist is doing OCT scan every month. Last appointment  was 05/01/13. He said OCT scan does not show any leakage, He said its the scar tissue that causing to see waviness. I am assuming the cells are dying from excessive stretching. He said no treatment is there. I have to wait until the stem cell research is done. It getting harder and harder to read everyday as sentences looks like waves. I am a pharmacist. I am scared . I have seen four different retina specialist since march of this year. Everyone says , OCT sacn does not show anything to treat.

Thankyou
Sri