Eye Care Expert Forum
Dark spots in vision when looking to the sides or up

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

When looking far to either side or upwards I notice two darker, circular patches in my vision (one with each eye open by itself). These patches correspond to where the blind spots in my vision are, which I was able to determine by moving around a sheet of paper with a dot on it, and when the dot is positioned where my vision is different, it disappears. I've found nearly a dozen stories online from people who notice the same thing in their vision, none of whom were diagnosed with anything when consulting with ophthalmologists or neurologists, nor did they receive an explanation as to why it happens. One thing I noticed that was common to almost all of the posters, was that these people suffer from anxiety, which I do as well. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it common phenomenon when straining one's eyes that most people just don't notice?
If you are seeing your physiologic blind spot, there is no cause for alarm.  However, I would recommend that you see an ophthalmologist for a complete exam, and also have a visual field test.
Thank you for your response, Dr. Fazio. I met with an ophthalmologist last week and had a full exam, as you recommended. The doctor found no issues with my eyes except that I am mildly nearsighted, and wrote me a prescription for -1.00, -1.25. I am not very confident that the doctor understood what I was trying to describe, but since he didn't notice anything abnormal when performing the various tests, I am not nearly as worried that I may have some serious condition as I had been.