Darkened (tanned) Sclera
I'm a 24 yr. old female with a history of eczema. Within the past 3-4 months, the sclera of both of my eyes has darkened significantly. It looks almost like they are dirty. The darkening is limited to only where there is sun exposure (meaning that the sclera beneath my eyelids is completely white). No change in vision. No itchying or dryness.

I do have a medical history of having recurrent inflamed and infected left eye since August of 2010. It's been treated repeatedly by different doctors, depending on where I'm living (originally from Southern California, but had to commute to the Caribbeans over the past 2 years). The treatments usually included an antibiotic eyedrop and a topical steroid. I have developed a left nasal-sided pterygium (is that correct?) from constantly rubbing it, according to an optometrist visit back in December. I've also been treated by my dermatologist for infected eczema along my entire body (thanks to my extended stay in the caribbeans) with Clobetasol Propionate and antibiotics. The dermatologist actually recommended that I apply the topical steroid SPARINGLY to the inflamed regions of my face, since normal hydrocortisone was not working to get rid of residual inflammation around my eye. The last time I have put that on was back in March 2011.

I did go to my GP with this concern, and was told something along the lines of the darkening to be due to excessive sun exposure (I wear sunglasses all the time, and have been indoors trying to heal the infections since March) and that they were "tanned" due to the change in outdoor vs. indoor environment (?). I know that I should have pressed for more clarification, but I felt that I had understood where he was getting at, until now.

Is this darkening because I used the topical Clobetasol? Is it permanent? I have tried to look all over the internet, but everyone keeps bringing up Blue Sclera. It's not blue, or anything near that tone. It's more muddy-yellow than blue. Once again, it's limited to areas of sun exposure.
correction...it was a pinguecula. not a pterygium.
I have not seen or read about this condition.  However, you are probably correct about the uv exposure since you do not have this darkening under your eyelids.  Google the medication and eyes.

Dr. O.