Eye Care Expert Forum
Daughter's Eye...Tic??

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Daughter's Eye...Tic??

My 7 year old had a bout of strep. She took the full course of ABs. She never got really sick, just slight fever and icky feeling for a couple days. After that she developed this weird habit. She rolls her eyes up and to the side. She seems to do it more when she is tired. Some days I don't notice it at all and others, she seems to do it a lot.

I looked around on the internet and found info on PANDAS. I started to get really scared.

I took her in to see the Dr. again. Dr. never heard of PANDAS, looked up some stuff, said she didn't know what this could be from and prescribed a stronger AB. My daughter took the full round of that as well. No change.

My husband thinks it is nothing to worry about and that it is just a habit which will go away. Once in a while my daughter will mention it and say it bothers her. But i don't know if that is because I have talked about it with her.

I am very nervous and worried about this. I don't know what step to take next.

Here is video of her doing it during her concert. She has brown hair with bangs and is in the top row.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v308/cheers44/?action=view&current=Cassidy.mp4
I saw the video and see what you are talking about.  Any other issues?  How is she doing in school?  How is she with social interactions?  It doesn't seem to be an ophthalmologic problem to me.  I wonder if you should take her to a pediatric neurologist.
A 2009 review stated that "the link between streptococcal infections and tic disorders has remained unclear, despite a great deal of work in the area." PANDAS is currently not listed as a diagnosis by the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) or the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).  So you will have a hard time getting a doctor to tell you that's the diagnosis, but I see your concern.  Has she demonstrated emotional lability, enuresis, anxiety, or deterioration in handwriting?  I think I would recommend you take her to a pediatric neurologist (unless the symptoms disappear soon).

HV

Thank you so much for your response.

Luckily, she has displayed no other symptoms/concerns. She gets nearly perfect grades and is totally normal socially. This is really the only thing. No other health issues or complaints either. I just don't get it. I will look into your suggestion. Thank you again.