Eye Care Community
Definition of dysphotopsia phenomena

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Definition of dysphotopsia phenomena

I am experiencing positive dysphotopsia and am a bit confused as to some of the terms I read about.   I understand what halos, starbursts, and arcs are, but what are central flashes, flare, glare, and streaks?

In the center of my vision I see 20-20 and I do not have halos or starbursts.  My issues all come from the periphery, starting about 30 degrees from the center.  Light bulbs (above me, below me, or to either side) cause rays of light to go across my field of vision and I also see arcs.  If I sit sideways to a sunny window the bright light is so painful I have to change my seat.  Lights, especially fluorescents, give me a weird vibrating on the edge of my vision.  These things happen to me in the daytime as well as the evening.

I had a Crystalens implant about 4 months ago.  My doctor told me Crystalens didn't give edge glare and refused to listen to me.  I've since gone for a second (and third) opinion and those doctors believe the lens is too small for my eye and that the lights on the periphery are going straight through my pupil, missing the lens completely.  Is this a form of edge glare?

Thanks for listening!
Use the search feature and archives to read more about "dysphotopsia" there are many posts on the subject. Every type of IOL can give some but certain IOLs give a lot more (generally the "premium" multifocal IOL)  You are having it. Edge glare is a form of it. Our practices uses Crystalens and some people do have it.

I cannot tell you if the 1st or the 2nd and 3rd opinion are correct. It should be a big problem before you do an IOL exchange espcially with 20/20 vision. It often gets better with time but no one can tell for sure. Often helped by wearing glasses with a prescription and anti-reflection in situations where it is very troublesome.

Dr. O is on vacation and I will not have time for follow up questions.

JCH MD
Thanks for your response.  I have googled quite a bit but was getting confused about the terms.  Now I understand that edge glare is a type of dysphotopsia, not a different word for the same thing.  That will help me search.
try and find a copy of this article:

145. Hagan JCIII, Kutryb MJ. “Cataract and Intraocular Implant Surgery Concerns and Comments Posted at Two Internet Eye Care Forums.” Missouri Medicine  2009;106:73-77

Hi Annie,  Like you, I had Crystalens implants four months ago and have similar edge glare issues.  It is extremely frustrating and my doctors fail to recognize the severity of the problem.  They tell me not to think about it which is impossible. I have been wearing visors and wrap around glasses even when indoors. Regarding Dr. Hagan's recommendation,  I have perscription glasses with anti reflective coating, but they do not resolve the problem with light coming from the side.    I just ordered new specs with wide sides.  (Kate Spade Freda).   I pick them up next week and hope that they will help.  Please keep me posted with your progress.  
-