Degenerative myopia, refractions and cataract surgery.
I have Degenerative Myopia, in my left eye I have two different cataracts and astigmatism and one cataract in my right eye. I was reviewing my new perscription from the doctor the other day and I realized that the final corrected refraction for my left eye is -6.75 +3.00 x110 and for the right eye it is -6.00 +2.25 x090. Is that very bad or normal bad? They keep telling me that I can see and they corrected my vision to 20/25 in both eyes but the quality of vision won't be there. I don't know if there is an underlying problem they are not catching but I told them they had to be wrong, I can't see! I was advised before that maybe I should consult a retinal specialist and have the cataract surgery done. Since it appears that I am in the beginning stages of degenerative myopia really what are the chances of complications from the cataract removal surgery? And will they grow back, one of them I have had since June the other two have rapidly developed since October.
A good plan would be to see the retina Eye MD ophthalmologist to check your eye for holes/tears/thin areas like lattice that might need treatment before you have the surgery. Ask the retina Eye MD his/her opinion about going through with cataract surgery and also the degree of your myopic macular degeneration.

It''s likely you're at or very near the point you need cataract surgery.

JCH MD
Thank you very much.

Even if these cataracts have only developed since the summer and fall should cataract removal surgery really be an option so soon? Won't they come back? Everyone in my family (that I know of) has had to wait anywhere from 10 to 15 years for the removal surgery. It just seems like the doctor is rushing. Is it really worth taking the chance so soon?
Cataracts after vitrectomies don't act like the slow growing cataracts of age. Cataracts are removed from the eye and don't come back. When you hear someone say that what they mean is that the capsule holding the IOL in place gets filmy. With new IOLS that happends about 15% of the time. If it happens a yag laser capsulotomy is done not another cataract srugery.

As I said in my first post see your retina Eye MD for a second opinion about proceeding with cataract surgery.

JCH MD
My mother has severe case of myopic macular degeneration and also starting with cataract.  Her doctors said there is nothing that can be done.  Is this true?
Use the search feature and archives to read about myopic macular degeneration.Some of the problems with it can be helped.

JCH MD