Eye Care Community
Degenerative myopia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Degenerative myopia

Okay I never been in a suport goup. But I have been diagnost with Degenerative myopia.
My brain was raising when the doctor told me that I will loose my vision in my left eye.
And now I am waiting on my next doctors appointment which seems so long away and it is only 6 days away.
When the doctor said there is nothing that they can do for me, I thought I don't hear right.
The next appointment is only to make sure his diagnos is right.
Is there really nothing that anyone can do for these?
Please let me know any info on this Degenerative myopia thing. Like is there help, if not what is gone happen, how does it impact my life, what can I exspect. I am going crazy.
                    Sandra M.
I can really understand your anxiety.  I think your doctor's communication shows a stunning lack of compassion and concern for the feelings of his patient.  I wish that I were more knowledgeable about your condition so that I could offer some concrete advice; I'm sure there are many things you can do to improve your quality of life.  I'm going to bump your post to the top of the list so that others will see it and respond.
I am a community leader here, not a doctor. I am also an experienced eye patient. Welcome to our community.

I, too, have retina problems. I am really sorry that the doctor's words make you so anxious.

Dr. Hagan will answer you soon.

Write back anytime. We are glad to help you.
Anna

This message is to bump you to the top again.
I am here online.

It might help you to call the doctor's office and ask the nurse to explain the diagnosis to you. Tell the office how anxious you are. You can write me back and talk about it. I can even try to get a doctor to answer you sooner.

If you want to wait for the doctor here, that's OK. But it might help if you had more info.

Anna
another bump to the top for Dr. Hagan so see your question.
I also have degenerative myopia and understand some about this condition, although there is certainly not much information out there, especially thru the internet.  Do you know exactly what is wrong with your eye, do you have bleeding or problems with your optic nerve?  My understanding is that you should not lose your eyesight completely unless you develop a CNV or abnormal blood vessels that could bleed into the eye.  If this is the case, there are new treatments (Lucentis injections) done by retinal specialists that can stop regression and even improve vision.  There can be other problems concerning the optic nerve, of which I am less knowledgeable.  

I would call your previous doctor and ask for specific information as to what exactly is happening to your eye.  The diagnosis of myopic degeneration by itself does not explain exactly what has and may be happening to your eye.

I can relate to your fear.  I have been slowly losing my visual acuity to myopic degeneration and it has been a struggle to find anyone else going thru the same thing in their 30's or 40's, as one is trying to raise small children and have a career.

There is a retinal specialist located in California, Dr. Brian Ward, who has a special interest in degenerative/pathological myopia.

Good luck
Excellent information. Sounds like you should see a retina specialist. But you should also get clearer info from the current doctor. Is he an MD?
Search for Dr. Ward or another retina specialist at www.aao.org.
First myopic degeneration only affects the macula so absolute worse case scenario if you had it in both eyes extremely bad you would never go completely blind because the macula is only about 5% of the retina. It would preclude driving and could make you legally blind but not totally blind like glaucoma can.

Second no one can tell you what will happen with myopic degeneration. I have had people with horrible maculas go 5 to 10 years without any progression.

Third the worse damage come from choroidal neovacular membranes and lucentia, macugen and avastin has dramatically improved the treatment of this previousl feared condition. Once treatment is started about 75% of the time Eye MDs can keep the eye from getting worse.

Fourth get another opinion from a retina specialist.

5th Eat a good diet (fruits, vegetables, fiber, fish, berries, nuts), cut down the fat in your diet, do not become obese, eat lutein rich foods (spinach, greens, collards, kale, etc), don't smoke, protect your eyes from bright sunlight with had and UV blocking regular and sun glasses, take a multivitamin, and 2 Preservision with lutein/day and 3 fish oil and do a daily Amsler grid test.

Good luck

JCH III MD
First I want to say thank you to very one for your support.
Okay the only thing I did understand at the last appointment is that I am very nearsighted
and that I have a tiny Cataract spot and that my muscle is some how not normal and that degenerative myopia.
I have double vision, where the double picture is to the top right side of my few. Bright light does hurt my eyes but I don't have any flashes or floating spots or gray color. I have been reading on the internet about this myopia and I have not found any symptoms that I have. So I do have my hopes up that this doctor is wrong. But some how I never get lucky.
I also have Crohns and lost my large intestines when I was 20 there for I have problems eating fruits and veggies also I love these items. Just my intestines can't tolerate them.
Sandra M
Always a possiblity that any physician, including me, is wrong. I would make a list of questions you have and see another ophthalmologist for a second opinion. If you live in the USA find one at www.aao.org

JCH IIIMD
I hope you do get a second opinion.

Let us know how you do.
First I want to say how comforting it is to me to read and understand the scardosis applications here.  Thank you all.
My grandson has scardosis with spots in his eyesight.  He is being treated by a capeable opthomologist, but I still have my deep concerns. Kyle is on a mission for our Church and he seems to be coping with all this rather well.  What is the prognosis of the coming months of his condition?  Thank you.  Joan Tanzie
I have been treated for the last 4 years for Degenerative Myopia with CNV in my left eye and i have 20/20 vision still, there is a tiny bit of a wave in some parts of the the Amsler grid but its not so bad.  
I was alergic (allergic) to the first therapy my retina specialist tried, Photo dynamic therapy and had to go 6 months with 20/80 vision with a nasty distortion.  However my dr then tried Avastin therapy, and for me its
worked wonders for 4 years.  My right eye is starting to show signs of the disease now, but the left eye is holding strong with continued treatments.  So far so good.. There is hope!!
HI Sir
I have degenerative myopia HST in right eye and  hole in lattice in left eye. Doctors have suggested me to go for laser barrage. Can you please suggest me what are other option to cure this problem without laser.My right eye number is (-9.5) and left eye number is (-6.5). If i dont have any other option than laser than Can I wait for 2-3 months before opting laser.
HI Sir
I have degenerative myopia HST in right eye and  hole in lattice in left eye. Doctors have suggested me to go for laser barrage. Can you please suggest me what are other option to cure this problem without laser.My right eye number is (-9.5) and left eye number is (-6.5). If i dont have any other option than laser in that case do ia have 2-3 months to waith for laser  barrage.