Eye Care Expert Forum
Depth Perception?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Depth Perception?

My husband used to back his truck into our garage regularly and flawlessly. Lately while backinf in, he has hit the wall twice, hit the brick column on the side at the entrance to the garage and hit the garage door while backing up to it (Twice). Could he be having a visual problem that he is otherwise unaware of? Obviously he is embarrased about these events and doesn't want to discuss them much, but I am getting concerned. Could he have developed some kind of depth perception defect?

He has worn glasses for years and is near sighted with astigmatism. He is also develping some close up vision issues associated with aging. He is 49 yrs old.
Your husband should see an Eye MD physician-ophthalmologist for a complete medical eye examination. When you schedule the appointment also schedule a "visual field exam" to be sure he has not had a small stroke or something that would cause an inconspicuous loss of side vision. Also when he goes in he should ask for a depth perception test. This is usually done with a Titmus Stereo Tester and polaroid glasses. It is quick simple and normally no charge test.

If that is normal have him have a PE with your personal family doctor to check blood pressure, heart, etc.

Hope you can get your husband to two physicians. Some guys are quite resistant to doing what's best for them.

If all the above is normal buy him a smaller truck or a bigger garage.

JCH III MD
I just recently failed a depth perception test for a job interview. I scored 5 out of 9 on the circle test. I needed to get 7 out of 9 to pass. I play hockey and other sports all the time and never noticed I had a problem. Is their any way I can correct this situation ? Also would glasses help ?

Darryl
AB, Canada
glasses may help, schedule an eye exam with an ophthalmologist. Ask to have your depth perception tested with a Titmus Stereo test. If you get 5 right. Ask them to snow you the correct circle for the last 4 and commit them to memory.

When you take the stereo test be sure you have good light, that your eyes are not yet dilated and hold the book at right angles to your eye.

And Memorize the correct answers.

JCH III MD